Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need help badly. After putting this bench together and sitting it upright it wobbles like crazy. The wood is not the best (from Lowes) so I know every board is not milled properly. Anyone have any tips on how I would go about trimming the legs evenly? Thanks for your time!

20170223_174654.jpg

Matt

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Move it around and see if your floor is flat. If it is setting where you want it and it is out diagonally, shim the two diagonal legs equally til it doesn't rock. Then take a shim the thickness of what you shimmed the diagonal legs and mark the other 2 legs and trim them off . It should be flat after that.
Herb

·
Registered
Theo
6,939 Posts
I learned long ago how to get around that. Make a rocking chair. Or, make a three legged chair. Either way, no teetering, and loads of stress saved.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice heavy bench. I think you are going to have to shim or cut to fit the floor. If you are going to move it much then I would shim it.

I would bevel the feet kind of like the top edges. It will keep the legs from chipping.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum MLR.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is the bench not meeting the floor the problem, or is the actual bench itself wobbling? As in loose fitting joints? Can you post a picture of the underside so we can see how it's put together?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Given the apparent mass of that bench I would vote for the floor as the problem. Joints clould be an issue but the front leg in the photo does not appear to be flat on the floor.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
What PaulH said! Flip it over onto its side/end/top and drill down into each leg perpendicular to it's length (from the bottom up obviously). Insert a T-Nut into each one...drill size dependent on the insert you use...then either use reasonably short bolts of the appropriate thread, or levelers like Paul posted.
I wouldn't do it any other way. Just because the bench is sitting flat on the floor does not mean it's LEVEL.
T-Nut Wood Inserts | Inserts for Wood | Insertsdirect.com

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Move it around and see if your floor is flat. If it is setting where you want it and it is out diagonally, shim the two diagonal legs equally til it doesn't rock. Then take a shim the thickness of what you shimmed the diagonal legs and mark the other 2 legs and trim them off . It should be flat after that.
Herb
And if it isn't, cut some off the other legs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Make a couple of wooden "door stops" and drive them under the short leg from opposite side voila! If you wish to move it to another spot, knock out the door stops, place the bench, and re-shim. No cost, no cutting the bench.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts