Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several or more 1/8" radius round-over bits. Most have a 3/8" diameter bearing. An example is the Whiteside 2005C that comes with a 1/2" OD bearing (B3).
Roundover & Beading Bit, 1/8 Radius, 1/2 Shank, Whiteside 2005C

Although Whiteside sells a B1A ball bearing at 1/4" OD, it would be undersized to the carbide of the 2005C.

Does anyone know of a 1/8" radius round-over, preferably in 1/2" shank, that has a 1/4" OD bearing? I like Whiteside and Amana, but will consider others.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
MLCS shows a 1/4" OD bearing on their site

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bushing_ball_bearings.html?zoom_highlight=bearings

But they don't say which bit it would fit but their 1/8" RO bit has an OD of 3/4" so I'd guess that the bearing is 1/2" (1/2 + (2 x 1/8). If you need the bearing to be 1/4", would one of the bits with an integral brass bearing work for you? Infinity Tools has a 1/8"O bit with a brass pilot - and I'd guess that the brass is 3/16" OD from the dimensions - but it only comes in 1/4" shank.

https://www.infinitytools.com/brass-pilot-router-bits-4782

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you need the bearing to be 1/4", would one of the bits with an integral brass bearing work for you? Infinity Tools has a 1/8"O bit with a brass pilot - and I'd guess that the brass is 3/16" OD from the dimensions - but it only comes in 1/4" shank.
I have a couple of those, but they seem fragile for any hard work. As an intermediate method it may work.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have a couple of those, but they seem fragile for any hard work. As an intermediate method it may work.

Steve.
they're not...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Not knowing what the OP plans to do with the bit................. The problem with just changing the bearing is that the OD of the cutter at the bearing also needs to be considered - look at the photos of the bits, admittedly generic, but they all show the bottom of the radius in line with the OD of the bearing (and I guess that's a given if you want a true roundover - the bit and bearing have to be the same diameter). Putting a smaller bearing on a bit like that will give a beading profile at the bottom of the part.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Not knowing what the OP plans to do with the bit................. The problem with just changing the bearing is that the OD of the cutter at the bearing also needs to be considered - look at the photos of the bits, admittedly generic, but they all show the bottom of the radius in line with the OD of the bearing (and I guess that's a given if you want a true roundover - the bit and bearing have to be the same diameter). Putting a smaller bearing on a bit like that will give a beading profile at the bottom of the part.
this what the OP will get or a variation here of....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
Steve what are you trying to do that you need an odd round over bit? Maybe something else would work if we knew.

Reactions: TWheels

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Code:
Steve what are you trying to do that you need an odd round over bit? Maybe something else would work if we knew.
I'm making some puzzles on my CNC, but this could also be an issue with a template rounting that had square inside corners also. The inside corners are 1/8" radius from a 1/4" diameter router bit. I want to get a smooth round-over on that corner. So, any bearing larger than 1/4" diameter ends up with a mismatch in the corner showing un-rounded edge.

I tried a couple of the brass tipped bits last night and the result is good. This would have to be a secondary rounting since there is a lot of other round-over to do and would be best with the 1/2" shank round-over.

Steve.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Why are you not using dog bone fillet in your cnc to compensate for square corners ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.