Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to make an adapter (or three) using an old HDPE cutting board. It is 1/4 inch thick plastic. The part(s) are 4x3 inches and I plan to use a 1/8th inch end mill.

So, do I cut it fast or slow, and how deep per pass? I am thinking fairly fast and shallow.

What say you?
Thanks
Mike

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
I would go with fairly fast and shallow, too, Mike. You might be better off with a zero flute bit, as well. That's what I use for Acrylic and it cuts very clean. You might also be better off with a 1/4" bit to clear the chips better (stringers...??). You don't want the HDPE melting around the bit, for sure.

David

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David. I don't have a bit like you mentioned so I will use an up-cut and hope for the best. I would like to cut it today. Just finished the drawing, so generate the tool paths, and get after it! :grin:

On a side note, did you get any rain from the storm?

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
Sorry, saw this briefly yesterday and just remembered the question. No sir, Monday we got a little drizzle most of the day but that's it. It's been sunshine and hot and humid. We have a chance of rain tomorrow and thunderstorms for the weekend with rain on Monday - we'll see.

How about y'all - much weather hit the Houston area?

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. This job is complete.

Let me just say I think I don't like plastic! I decided to slow the speed of the Bosch as slow as it would go, which is about 8K. The problem I ran in to was drilling the holes of my project. Even though I used the "pecking" method and had it set to retract out of the hole each time, it still melted some plastic and I had to stop and clean the bit, then start over. For what I am doing, it will be OK.

What the heck is that anyway, you might ask? Well, I have been developing Home Assistant on a raspberry Pi. I wanted to install a sensor to let me know if the freezer door has been left open. The problem is the gasket is too thick so I couldn't mount both pieces and have the sensor work. The reed switch needs to be no farther from the other piece than 1/2 - 5/8 inch. Note: I have been bench testing the sensor and it works perfect. If the door is left open for 90 seconds, I will get a notification on my computer screen and one on my phone that the door is open. :surprise::grin:

I used double sided tape to mount the sensor, but the adapter I created has holes that can be used if needed when mounting it in other locations. I may have to go buy another cutting board if I need to make any more. :grin:

I also have a second set of adapters to use with another sensor. If I can get it to work on the garage door, that will be great. Or, install it on the storage shed in the back yard. That will get done soon.

Here are some pics. Mixing my woodworking/CNC skills with home automation. :grin::grin::grin:
BTW, it took longer to sand the fuzzies off the pieces than it did to cut them out! :frown:

Anyway, another project complete. Hope you like it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, saw this briefly yesterday and just remembered the question. No sir, Monday we got a little drizzle most of the day but that's it. It's been sunshine and hot and humid. We have a chance of rain tomorrow and thunderstorms for the weekend with rain on Monday - we'll see.

How about y'all - much weather hit the Houston area?

David
Rain (lots of it along the coast) but no problem for us. Now it's just scattered here and there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.