Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a rockler dust right wall mounted dust collector for Christmas. It's the 3/4 hp unit with the 4" inlet.

Is it worth using 6" duct with this unit? All my tools are on the same wall and the longest run is about 20'.

I want to hook it to my miter saw, table saw, planer and then have a floor sweep and a loose 1 1/4 hose for hand power tools and the keep jig.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was given a rockler dust right wall mounted dust collector for Christmas. It's the 3/4 hp unit with the 4" inlet.

Is it worth using 6" duct with this unit? All my tools are on the same wall and the longest run is about 20'.

I want to hook it to my miter saw, table saw, planer and then have a floor sweep and a loose 1 1/4 hose for hand power tools and the keep jig.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help

Are you going to use rigid piping for the majority of the run, and are you going to use a pre filter like a cyclone, Thein or trash can separator? The pre filter, even a trash can separating device will help immensely. Just remember that the bag will not catch the majority of the harmful dust which is much smaller than the bag will catch. The collector will do a great job for cleaning the shop and catching the big dust. I would run 4" pvc for the long run or runs and 4" flex to the machines. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would use 4" PVC pipe for the long run. Install a "T" at each vacuum spot & use flex hose from there to the machine. I would step down to the size of the out flow pipe of each machine (reducing T's). I would also have caps for each T so all the suction will be concentrated on the machine you are using.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-4-in-x-4-in-x-2-in-dia-PVC-Sanitary-Tee-Fitting/3132831

If money is no object, you could put an inline valve at each T (inline, after the reduced T).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VALVE-2-in-PVC-Sch-40-Socket-In-Line-Ball-Valve/3353878

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, thinking I will do a chip separator of some sort. Maybe a thein baffle. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum that will be perfect I think.

It sounds like you did your homework as to how to set it up. A 55 gallon drum will work, but it will get heavey and cumbersome, a 30 or 35 gallon drum will be much easier to move when it gets full.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm thinking the PVC will be the best route. You don't want to make any portion larger that the intake of the dust collector unit. It will cause you to loose suction power, just plain physics. The PVC is smooth & will be easy to keep clean. You can put a 4" foam plug in it, turn it on, it will suck the plug through & clean it as it goes. You can put a screen in line to stop the plug from going into the dust collector.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like you did your homework as to how to set it up. A 55 gallon drum will work, but it will get heavey and cumbersome, a 30 or 35 gallon drum will be much easier to move when it gets full.

I was thinking I'd set the drum on a cart of some type to facilitate movement. Then I could just roll it out and dump it.

I think it would be handy because I could scoop out of it with a small 1 gallon bucket to throw saw dust when I slop oil during oil changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking I'd set the drum on a cart of some type to facilitate movement. Then I could just roll it out and dump it.

I think it would be handy because I could scoop out of it with a small 1 gallon bucket to throw saw dust when I slop oil during oil changes.

Sounds like you have a winning set up. The only thing I would try to have is 45 degree junctions or sweeping 90s. This will help airflow, and not block near as much as a T fitting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you have a winning set up. The only thing I would try to have is 45 degree junctions or sweeping 90s. This will help airflow, and not block near as much as a T fitting.

So 6" is overkill?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do not think that the D.C. That you have will draw enough air to benefit from the additional diameter.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
There is another reason for the chip collector, it keeps chips from dinging and stopping up the blower. I also agree that a 30 gallon chip collector can get pretty heavy. I'd hate to haul a full 55 gallon drum very far. I got a 30 gallon fiber drum with a metal locking lid from ULine, which would make it easy to install a cyclone. I use the drum with 4 inch Rockler fittings to create a flow inside the drum, and the heavier stuff drops to the bottom. I think I'd like the cyclone better than the two port chip design and would do the cyclone instead if I had it to do again. But I like being married and have about spent all I can on DC for now.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I vote for four inch pvc sewer and drain (thinner than regular sch 40 PVC). Keep it simple and buy blast gates that are self cleaning. You can thank me later. The plastic ones always jam up with sawdust. I use a pair of vise grips and a piece of wire to clean out the slide area so they will close. A real pain and you lose suction for each one that doesn't shut off.

I have a Harbor Freight dust collector mounted on the wall with a home made Thein separator upstream of the fan. It works very well.

Note that I have a short run of PVC with just two take-offs. One to the table saw, and the other is used to connect a flexible hose to the planer, jointer, drum sander, or general clean up. The other side of the shop has a shop vac with plumbing to the miter saw, bench top belt sander and another general port so I can hook up a hose to the pocket hole jig, sander or general clean up.

Good luck.

Take a look below.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Lots of good advise here. I use a 32 gal garbage can and put a black plastic bag inside. To keep the bag from being sucked into the cyclone,I have a scrap of P-lam bent around inside the bag in the can. This way I can take the lid off and lift the p-lam out, then gather the top of the bag, put a tie wrap on it and lift it out . Put another bag min and the p-lam and the lid back on ,ready to go.

Herb

·
Registered
376 Posts
"T" fittings connecting the machine runs to the main DC run decreases the efficiency of the unit as the 90* elbow/connection restricts the air and dust/chip flow.

"Y" fittings -- see link below -- provide a much more smoother transition to the main DC line, resulting in a more efficient transfer of air and dust into the main line.

Y-Connector Dust Collection Fitting | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Dustin; a 3/4HP motor is the issue. It's only able to spin an impeller of a very modest diameter; ie the airflow in cubic ft. per min. is relatively low.
You need a lot of air moving at a high velocity to carry larger chips, especially if they have to go up before coming back down, not to mention collecting the very fine particles
A 6" pipe is way to large for the size of impeller that a 3/4horse motor is able to drive. The velocity in the pipe will slow so much that the sawdust/chips will likely clog up it up.

Dust Collection Research - Blower

(Diag. from Pentz's link)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Dustin..........I see that you're at about the same stage of planning that I am. I never would have thought that there was so much to consider in setting up a DC system. All the input that has come from your post is going to be very helpful to me, too. Like using a Y connector instead of a T. I'm bookmarking this thread as a guide. Thanks to all who have contributed knowledge, and I feel like it will help a lot of us.

One question I've had in mind is whether when using a 2 inch or so hose on a tool, if you should have additional ports in the 4 inch pipe open so the collector isn't being pulled down due to lack of input air. Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have this DC, and I believe Dan has hit it on the head: I built a chip separator (30 gal), but quickly learned that 3/4 HP is just too small. I gave up on the separator and now try to be careful and not suck up large chips.

I did add the Cannister Filter, which works very well, and supposedly gets down to 1 micron.

I'm using the Rockler 4" expandable hose, which I bring to each machine. Rockler doesn't seem to carry this size any longer, in the expandable version.

Currently, I'm very tight on space. I like the idea of running fixed piping a lot better than the expandable hose, with gates for each, but I just don't have the room. I hope this isn't too disappointing, but once I get a bit more room, I'm going for a more powerful DC.

·
Registered
544 Posts
... also, as Dan's Pentz diagram shows, you're not going to get much of the fine dust with this DC. So I wear a mask and use a Jet AFS-1000B air filter (but as others have mentioned in other threads, the Wen and Grizzly are other good options). The air filter is my hope to minimize fine dust getting to the rest of the house.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
I have this DC, and I believe Dan has hit it on the head: I built a chip separator (30 gal), but quickly learned that 3/4 HP is just too small. I gave up on the separator and now try to be careful and not suck up large chips.

I did add the Cannister Filter, which works very well, and supposedly gets down to 1 micron.

I'm using the Rockler 4" expandable hose, which I bring to each machine. Rockler doesn't seem to carry this size any longer, in the expandable version.

Currently, I'm very tight on space. I like the idea of running fixed piping a lot better than the expandable hose, with gates for each, but I just don't have the room. I hope this isn't too disappointing, but once I get a bit more room, I'm going for a more powerful DC.
Rob if I built a garage , I'd install 4" abs in the concrete slab from the dust collector to the middle of the garage to provide dust collection at my table saw .
This way I'm not tripping over a pipe all the time . I think I'd loose to much suction if I went overhead . That's what the owner of WP thinks anyways :(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts