Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, again, wise crew.

Since my local wood provider is garbage, I need to cut my wood myself to ensure properly measured dimensions and squared angles.

The measures of the wood strips I need to cut are

3cms (1.18") square
as long as possible.

Those then I will cut every 2 inches, but that is not the issue.

Now, I was thinking of the best way to make them as precise as possible, but I'm sure many of you already ran into this kind of situations before.

Is not like it is complicated, but, doesn't hurt to ask does it? :)

Thanks!.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hi, again, wise crew.

Since my local wood provider is garbage, I need to cut my wood myself to ensure properly measured dimensions and squared angles.

The measures of the wood strips I need to cut are

3cms (1.18") square
as long as possible.

Those then I will cut every 2 inches, but that is not the issue.

Now, I was thinking of the best way to make them as precise as possible, but I'm sure many of you already ran into this kind of situations before.

Is not like it is complicated, but, doesn't hurt to ask does it? :)

Thanks!.
what size are you cutting out of ???.....

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Is this a trick question, Pablo? ;)

Like Stick asked, how thick and wide is your stock lumber, and also how long?
Is it hardwood? Or just S4S framing lumber (1 1/2" thick)?
For myself, I don't really care if I lose a bit of material as scrap from the framing lumber. It's relatively cheap.
Start by getting one edge of each board straight and clean.

I'd set the fence for a tich over the 3cm and rip all the lengths I need.
Then run them through, rotated a 1/4 turn. Now they're square.
Set the planer to take a finish cut off all four sides of each piece to get all the corners and faces clean, and to bring it to exactly 3cm on each side.
Mind you, with the right blade and very sharp, a cleanup on the planer might not be required(?). That's a lot of time and labour saved

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what size are you cutting out of ???.....
I can pick the size, I didn't buy the wood. That was another question I forgot to ask, what would be the best source wood for this strips?. I have plenty of 2x4", but if possible I wouldn't want to waste wood.

Its pine.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Sometimes long rips tend to pinch the saw blade (even with a splitter). For that reason, I try to cross cut shorter pieces then rip them. Allow for some waste as you cut your final sizes. For 12 pieces 2 inches long, you might rough cut your pieces to 26 before you start to do the milling part.

Shorter pieces are easier to handle on the planer and joiner. That's another reason to cut shorter pieces, my joiner is a 6 incher. No problem with the planer.

Just my thinking.

Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Pablo, the seat slats for this porch swing were cut from 2 x 12" boards. Set your table saw to make a clean up cut on the edge of your board so it is square. Flip the board around so this edge is against the saws fence. Make another clean up cut on the edge then set your saw to the width you need and run the board through until the board is used up. Now turn these pieces on their sides and run them through again to get your square pieces. Be sure to support your wood past the end of your saw.

Attachments

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Good info. The lattice on the deck is shot and the staples are rusting with the strips falling off. Thought of doing vertical strips. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Pine. So then basically domestic framing lumber?
Unless someone wants furniture quality up here, then it's down to the lumberyard for what's graded as "SPF"...Spruce, Pine, Fir . Quality is all over the map. :(
SPF Lumber | West Fraser

" ...and exhibit small knots."
That's like saying something's a 'little bit dead'.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"I have plenty of 2x4""
-Pablo

A cleanup cut/joint one edge, then 3 -3+cm cuts
flip them and cut the 1 1/2" dim. down to 3+ cm.
Your decision then whether to plane or do a final cut to the exact dimension, if it matters.
Not much wastage. If you had cleaned up one face side first, on the planer, than the offcuts from the 1 1/2' down to 3+cm square pieces might even be useful for edge banding or something(?).
Just a thought.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Pablo if you want 3cm x 3cm and you need square corners you will need to start with 38mm thick lumber anyway and the 8mm is your unavoidable waste to get them. Even if someone custom sawed the lumber for you, you would still need at least 35mm thick to get rid of sawtooth marks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts