Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ShopVac crapped out!

Well the ShopVac crapped out 2 days ago. Turn it on and no power to the switch,bang on the switch and it kicks in but the motor labors and cuts in and out. This was a $160 Vac bought in 2001 which has given me trouble. It is controlled by a large circuit board which got fried before the warranty expired.This Vac has an electrical outlet on it where you can plug in any power tool and it goes off when the power tool goes off. I feel it has too many electronics on it which puts out too many amps (12.5) plus the power tool amps. The only good feature of this Vac is that is has a large paper filter bag inside which fills up and this keeps the filter clean.

Now I switch to my Sears 16 year old wet/dry 16 gal.Vac. I understand that Sears has large paper filter bags for their Vacs but it won't work on my model because the inlet inside the Vac has two outlets and the paper filter bags have only one hole in them. Is there any way I can adapt the outlet to use a bag with one hole?

Gary

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have not seeing anything with those dimensions. I have seen a Y that has 2.5" fittings for all the holes and then you would have to use a 2.5" to 1.5" reducer where needed.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Gary

You can get it from Home Depot, BUT see drawing below.
Or from a plumping supply house,but you can't dump a 2 1/2" into a 1 1/2" ,plumping code.

Bj :)

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Gary

I'm sure you can but a snapshot would be nice for this one, always a way to adapt it, two or more minds on the same thing should help. :)

Bj :)

seawolf21 said:
Well the ShopVac crapped out 2 days ago. Turn it on and no power to the switch,bang on the switch and it kicks in but the motor labors and cuts in and out. This was a $160 Vac bought in 2001 which has given me trouble. It is controlled by a large circuit board which got fried before the warranty expired.This Vac has an electrical outlet on it where you can plug in any power tool and it goes off when the power tool goes off. I feel it has too many electronics on it which puts out too many amps (12.5) plus the power tool amps. The only good feature of this Vac is that is has a large paper filter bag inside which fills up and this keeps the filter clean.

Now I switch to my Sears 16 year old wet/dry 16 gal.Vac. I understand that Sears has large paper filter bags for their Vacs but it won't work on my model because the inlet inside the Vac has two outlets and the paper filter bags have only one hole in them. Is there any way I can adapt the outlet to use a bag with one hole?

Gary

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Gary, Next time post a new message. Anyone looking at this post will not understand why the topic is different from the title.
As far as your Craftsman vac, don't waste your time trying to change it. Spend a few dollars and get a new switch for the Shop Vac. Parts are readily available and it shouldn't be more than $10 or so. Being able to use the bags is worth the price of the switch. As far as the onboard outlet goes, don't use it. There is a post under the bargin bin about replacement bags for very good prices. Bill and Wanda Fox treat their customers right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts