Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all: Please forgive for the typo/grammer erros as I am new to computors/keyboards.Ive been trying to send a e-mail to this site most of the afternoon, hopefully this one works,shop should be warm enough by now.Can anyone help as Iam looking to purchase or build plans to make a jig to cut splines/keys into 3/4 hardwoods with my mv12 hatachi using the oakpark rouer table. Also how do I sharpen spirial bits (3/8 1/4 etc.) Looking to buy/build plans to make 2ft. wide dovetail jig.Any info on books or your knowledge would be very thankful.P.S. Iam an amateur woodworker who enjoys building new or refinishing used furiture when its -40 outside. I truly enjoy the smiles on my kids faces when I present them with a project.

Thank You

Michel A. Turcotte

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Welcome Michel to the Router Forums. I hope all your questions will be answered to your approval by our "experts". By the way, where are you that it is -40 outside?

·
2,392 Posts
Michel A. Turcotte said:
Hello to all: Please forgive for the typo/grammer erros as I am new to computors/keyboards.Ive been trying to send a e-mail to this site most of the afternoon, hopefully this one works,shop should be warm enough by now.Can anyone help as Iam looking to purchase or build plans to make a jig to cut splines/keys into 3/4 hardwoods with my mv12 hatachi using the oakpark rouer table. Also how do I sharpen spirial bits (3/8 1/4 etc.) Looking to buy/build plans to make 2ft. wide dovetail jig.Any info on books or your knowledge would be very thankful.P.S. Iam an amateur woodworker who enjoys building new or refinishing used furiture when its -40 outside. I truly enjoy the smiles on my kids faces when I present them with a project.

Thank You

Michel A. Turcotte
Hi Michel

Welcome aboard!

You are doing good... we will help you as much as we can.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. You seem just fine with the computer! On the spiral bits... man, I don't know how a guy would go about sharpening those without special equipment. I was hoping someone had plans for a router top spline jig. I have seen one in the Doug Stowe book designed for making decorative boxes.

How about this one:
http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/165/videos/mitered-spline-jig/

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Michel

Just one more jig :)

Here's one I made about 3 years ago and used from time to time to put in biscuits and splines.

Spline tip below ▼
If you gang two cutters on to one arbor you can make splines with a pass or two on the router table and they will be right on 1/8" or 3/16" or 1/4" wide.
To make the spline insert, take some hardwood (walnut is the best for this job) start with a 3/4" x 4" wide x 24" long, set the slot cutters in the router table so it will put in a 2ea. 3/32" slots but leave a 1/8" spline on the top and a 1/8" spline in the center on the stock now make a pass then take the stock to the table saw and cut off a 1" wide part, now put it back on the router table and move the stock by the slot cutters again BUT stop about 1/2 way in the pass now take the stock to the band saw and cut off about a 1/2 " put the cut offs splines in the stock and glue them in place, 2ea. this will hold the slots open when you make the last pass on the walnut stock BUT Stop short from the end about 1 1/2" from the end of the stick now take the walnut stick to the band saw and cut off the ends, you now have 2ea. true 1/8" x 1" wide x 22" long splines that you can tape it up until you need some spline stock,cut off what you need but leave the tape on the walnut stock to keep it true.
You can do this easy way to make 1/8",3/16".1/4" spline stock.
Note****all slot cutters are NOT true so to say use your mic.to set the cutters up for the right size, 5/16" I.D.washers with a small O.D, will do this job easy,but check all 3 carb.cutters b/4 you put the nut back on the arbor.
NOTE*** 1/4" stanard washer are 5/16" I.D. the norm.

The jig is a easy one to make ,this one is made to take up to 4 1/2" wide stock and up to 1 1/2" thick.
But you could make the jig 28" long and do it the same way.

NOTE here's a great spot to get the slot cutters from if you don't have them, buy a set or two so you have a pair of them with the LONG/Tall arbor in the 1/4" shank and the 1/2" shank size,one of each, they can be used in may ways on the router table.
This price is about 50% off the going price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1PC-1-2-SH-Slot...0643264QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50386QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/1PC-1-4-SH-Slot...1263711QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50386QQcmdZViewItem

Bj :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.