Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys are probably tired of me asking dumb questions, but dumb questions are how I learn.

I've been playing with my Aspire and AvidCNC because doing things allow me to learn. But I am stumped for now. I made a 3-D carving from two models that I got somewhere on the internet. I've made my pocket, put the models in the pocket, set a zero plane and cut the model which is my wife's family crest.

But, here's the problem. When I do an offset carving, it is leaving lines at the corners and it is leaving a false square pocket into the model. I've looked at it in Aspire, and there is no appreciable change in Z-height on the preview, so I am assuming that this is getting into the model via some software glitch or an error in machine setup/calibration. I can understand that the lines radiating from the location where the spindle makes the change from y-axis to x-axis being maybe an alignment issue, but not the box.

I leveled the spoilboard with a spoilboard cutter after first spending hours with a 1/2 inch spoilboard cutter cutting x and y axis 90% offsets and getting the machine aligned the best I could.

I have attached a couple of photos to show you what it is doing. Any advice as to what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mike
Wood Textile Beige Grey Art
Wood Textile Beige Grey Art
Head Artifact Art Font Creative arts

·
Registered
79 Posts
With all respect to the users here, you may want to post this in the Vectric support forum. There, you can attach your crv3d file and they can look into it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't think of that right off the bat, I will.

·
Registered
Mike
3,841 Posts
That is a common problem when using an Offset tooling strategy. You can try using the Stepover Retract option in the 3D Finishing Toolpath. This will lift the bit up before moving over and changing direction. It does not need to be a large Retract, just needs to be large enough to lift the bit out of the cusp for the bit being used. For small bits, 0.005 - 0.015 is usually enough but you can figure it out by drawing a cross-section of the bit and cut made to get the actual measurement needed or by test cuts on the CNC.

You can also use a Raster tooling strategy where it not have all the turns the other has. I like to set my raster to an angle that does not parallel any elements in the design. I want it to climb up, over, and down details, not run along with them because the stepover on a design element that is parallel to the cut could cause some very bad looking cuts. Sometimes it just can't be avoided.

I usually try to find a cutting strategy that yields the least amount of picking up and moving to a new location then back to where it left off cutting before. All that moving around can cause problems.

Overall the project looks good, the problem is in the limitations in the toolpath. Hopefully, you can use the Retract option or Raster option to get better results. Just remember, you will very seldom have a project that does not require at least some sanding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts