Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this form but have been using a router(s) for a couple of years. I own 3 outers, one is about 40 years old used very little. A craftsman hand nothing fancy, a hand held and one with multiple bases and I also have a table with it. I have made a few custom cabinets for my newly designed kitchen. I have enjoyed the challenge. I am here to learn the correct way to care for my tools. Should I oil my bits?

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi Dan , welcome to the forum.

I do not oil my bits. Keep them clean, yes, but oil, no.

IMO, oil may make the bits hard to set in the collet and may affect the finish in the timber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dan , welcome to the forum.

I do not oil my bits. Keep them clean, yes, but oil, no.

IMO, oil may make the bits hard to set in the collet and may affect the finish in the timber.
Ok thanks,
I have purchased some new bits and they have been "oily" and wrapped in wax paper.
I guess I should treat them like glass and not bang them around. What about keeping them sharp?
Dan

·
Premium Member
19,720 Posts
I found several YouTube videos on sharpening router bits. There was an article on sharpening them in Wood's email hints section. They recommended something like 4 strokes with a diamond file, with moderate pressure. Keeping the file flush with the edge. After four touchups any further sharpening should be done by a professional shop. As to oiling the bit, it can easily cause the problems JW2170 mentioned, but a tiny touch of oil on bearings can't hurt, just don't over do it. I think keeping everything clean and dry is the best bet. You can use a solvent to clean off pitch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts