Thanks for the link, Bob. Nice alternative to the Kreg system

Regards

Phil

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Actually, Bob, Having looked at the add-ons I think it is possible to do without most of the bits - a sliding table could be made up by routing a couple of parallel slots across a router table top then building your own fence like the one in the Sommerfield video. That wayy all that would be needed would be the cutters, and even there it's jiust the chamfer bit which is unique to Kreg. I've seen this job done with a bespoke expanding head on a trenching machine (the head alone was about £1000/US$1500) and these systems are a lot more affordable

Regads

Phil

· Registered
52 Posts
Any details on how you made it?
Thanks, Larry
I made it from 1/2" phenolic that I had gotten for free. All the fasteners that are the round allen head my wife dug out of the garbage at her job.

The tape measure is slid into a groove that I cut with a 1/2" dove tail router bit set about 1/32" deep. I did it this way to allow me to calibrate it if needed.

The flip stop is two pieces of phenolic crazy glued together and then machined to size. I rides in a T-slot I cut into the phenolic next to the tape measure. Here is another pic of the flip stop.
Tool accessory Tool Machine tool

The sliding base I cut over size and then cut off both ends at a 14 degree angle. I clamped everything to the sub base and made sure it moved freely with no binding or play and drilled and tapped for the 1/4-20 machine screws.

This whole build came about because I wanted to do beaded inset kitchen cabinets back in 2009 and kreg wanted a ridiculous $500 for this simple jig when it first came out. Because of that greed I have a different outlook on tool purchases and will now build what I need if I'm able to do it. Now if they have the tool or jig I need for a reasonable price I'll buy it but only if I can't do the job any other way.

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi

I forgot I have a jig/fixture that do the same thing, I have the bits on hand and will make a block for the jig..and play with it next week...
I use it for lap joints the norm but now it can do one more job.

==

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.