Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I am excited to start learning a whole lot more than I currently know about CNC woodworking and hopefully will be building my own router within the next year. I am an architecture student at Auburn University, and for the past 2 years I have been working as an after-hours shop supervisor in our woodshop, where I caught the CNC bug. I really don't know as much about actually setting up a CNC machine, but I have enough experience under my belt to know how to operate the machinery, properly set up speeds, passes, and tolerances, and understand the gist of how it all works. I also have several years of construction experience (and 4 years of military service) and am fairly knowledgeable with CAD and the like. In reality, I don't particularly like architecture. It isn't what I want to do at all, but it has been a great conduit to help me understand good design and tectonics. I am much more interested in CNC woodworking, cabinet building, and most recently, tear-drop campers. This is something that I would like to pursue as more than just a hobby and I realize CNC opens the doors to some serious opportunities that are otherwise much more time consuming and less precise.

My wife is also very crafty, and she runs a small business from home making everything from decals to cake toppers, and has a pottery studio as well. Our house is quickly being outgrown so hopefully within the next year, we will be moving into a bigger place and I will be building a workshop where I can spread out. We typically do craft shows and showcase our work, but this year we have had to take a step back.

Unfortunately I have been battling lymphoma of the bone for the past 3 years (unbeknownst to me until this spring), but I am on the mends and we are looking forward to putting this chapter of life behind us as quickly as possible. I have lost a lot of time to pain and sickness in the past few years so I am itching to get back on the horse. Needless to say, all this downtime recently has put me in planning mode and I am ready to get off these crutches.

See y'all around!

Jed

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jed , you certainly sound like an interesting fellow . Thank you for your service and I'm sorry to hear about your health.
I am hoping to own a cnc myself someday , and after countless hours of research , I am debating to scratch build one or buy the pro version from cncrouterparts. Especially since they dropped the V bearings and went to linear bearings for the same price creating a sturdier machine .
Looking forward to seeing your progress

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you RainMan, I was eyeing the stuff over at cncrouterparts as well but from having never done the setup. It's a bit overwhelming. I tried going through our router manual a few months ago at work and was pretty lost in all the lingo, but I believe understanding it all would come with the experience of just putting hands on and building it. I used to build pretty sweet cornhole tables with it (I know, a $15k machine and I'm over here building yard games), but there is a limited market for it and people just don't want to spend $200 on a set of birch boxes that you throw beanbags at.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
I'm a little overwhelmed by the price for there turn key electronics, and also the price of there air cooled spindle and VFD .
There's people here and other forums that can give you direction for that part .
I'm not very intimidated by electronics, so I would prefer to buy a cabinet and build that part of it myself . Better for future trouble shooting :)
And instead of learning an antiquated system like Mach3 , I'm going with UCCNC right off the start .
Btw There are videos on assembling the mechanical parts of the Pro version on YouTube .

I'd prefer to make one , but am concerned about all the shipping involved getting parts from different vendors .
You don't know how good you've got it living in the US.

There's members here who bought Probotix router tables and are quite happy with there decision.
In my case I want a bigger cutting area , and future expandability , so the cnc pro version fits the bill perfectly.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jed.

Reactions: jgrant6
1 - 5 of 5 Posts