Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all new to me so i am not sure if i am suppose to ask a question here or introduce myself?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi Dorothy and welcome to Router Forums

It's really up to you. Most people start with a question of a thumbnail of what the do or want to do, but it isn't mandatory

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dorothy and welcome to Router Forums

It's really up to you. Most people start with a question of a thumbnail of what the do or want to do, but it isn't mandatory

Regards

Phil
Thank you for your quick response.
My question is what to do? I have a cheap tabletop router table which i bought when i got my first router ever Makita 3606. My working bench (which i made) is too high to operate this on. I was thinking about making a router unit, but am a little confused with the choices of table inserts, I would like to have one so i can change the bits raise and lower with no fuss and a handy switch. So where do i go from here??

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dorothy.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
My question is what to do? I have a cheap tabletop router table which i bought when i got my first router ever Makita 3606. My working bench (which i made) is too high to operate this on. I was thinking about making a router unit, but am a little confused with the choices of table inserts, I would like to have one so i can change the bits raise and lower with no fuss and a handy switch. So where do i go from here??
You don't want to use your table at an uncomfortable height, too high could be unsafe. I would say that your hands should be close to elbow height to be comfortable and safe. I have a table on legs that is a little lower that is good for larger parts and a couple of table top ones that are good for small parts. I'm also 6' 2" so one of those on a bench is just about right for me. You could consider putting your table on some sawhorses with 2x4s and a layer of ply or mdf on top for a stable base.

My freestanding table has a homemade plexiglass insert that fits snugly in its recess and I just pop it and the router out and lay them on their side on the table to make bit changes and initial height adjustment. It's very easy that way. There are factory made table inserts that are made for most routers if you want to rebuild.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi Dorothy, anyone call you Dottie? I also live in the windy southwest, and we have to watch the side door to keep it from being damaged, it is also a metal building. I would suggest if you are planning on making your own frame moldings and edging take a look at the Grizzly table. You can download the manual PDF file for ideas or to see how it is made. Many members have this table, and I find it to be everything I need to accomplish any task I need to do. You cannot build one for the price they are selling it for.

T10432 Router Table with Stand

Manual

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/t10432_m.pdf

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Dorothy, The Grizzly T10432 table Dick suggested is the one I recommend to people who want all the features they need in an affordable price. I will be setting one up within the next couple weeks with step by step photos that may be of more help than the manual. This will include installing a router onto the mounting plate. (The table arrived yesterday)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dorothy you will find this to be a very helpful group of members on this site. The wealth of knowledge is amazing. There are members from all over the world, from every background, occupation and experience. If you will click on a members name there is a drop down menu you can select 'Public profile' and see who responded to a post. This is the best ran woodworking site I have seen.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome Dorothy...

If you go to the section Table-Mounted Routing, near the top of the page you'll find a thread (a "thread" is kind of a forum conversation) titled Wanted-Pictures of Your Router Table. Lots of tables pictured there, along with much discussion of the how and why of the builds. By no means the only info on this site, but it may be worth shovelling through for ideas--and may help you learn what you want.

The Grizzly table looks to be a good one, great value for what it includes. You may find it sufficient to start with. You may also find that building a router table is akin to artwork--gives you an opportunity to start with a blank canvas and create tangibly that which you see in your mind's eye!!!

earl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea about the saw horse making a table est. Building saw horse right now infact.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Willway, only family call me Dottie. I will check the information you gave thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That will be very good for me, I can work from diagrams but yours will be even more help especially the important area of mounting the router. Looks like it will take any kind. Is it best to use the basic router or the plung?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Earl, I am what you might say in the middle of things, I need more experience with the power tools to build the table, as I am sure i can do. But hesitate to do so, its much easier to get the RIGHT thing professionaly built. Perhaps? Dont want to go cheep but cant afford the big tickets, well not yet. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Dorothy, here is a photo of how I used to set up my table on sawhorses. One clamp on each side to keep it in place. The economy table top in our table mounted routing section is the same size as the top on this table but uses either a Rousseau or Grizzly mounting plate. (the Harbor Freight mounting plate is no longer available but was the same size)

A similar table if you want to just buy one is the Bosch RA1171 and it is sometimes sold with the Craftsman name on it for a bit less at Sears.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts