Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new project with my badog CNC ,it's an edge lit in plastic of an Xenomorph the alien creature of the movie franchise Alien ,it took me 5 hours tole finish it, with a 0.1 stepover et and a 0.3mm mill.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
holy smoely...

Reactions: asselin22

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
Very cool.

Reactions: asselin22

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
N/A, is the router going differant depths into the plexi? Looks better than what my laser could do .
Very nice outcome however it was done . Maybe a curved bit?
Like the base too

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N/A, is the router going differant depths into the plexi? Looks better than what my laser could do .
Very nice outcome however it was done . Maybe a curved bit?
Like the base too
I could not get good results with a ball mill so i used a v mill because i could get a depth of 1 mm in one pass. The images cut in 3d so the depth is not constant

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Love the lighting.

HJ

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Excellent work and the lighting adds to it immeasurably.
One of my favorite things is led lit plexi . This is way cooler than what I can achieve with a laser though. The laser does a great job of cutting out and clear torching the perimeter though .

N/a , how did you cut the perimeter /border out , with the cnc router? If so I was wondering how many passes to cut threw what I believe to be 6mm plexi

·
Registered
Paul
1,859 Posts
Very nice. Ages ago a friend did something similar but in a very different way. He would cut a rubber mask and sand blast the plexi. The edge lighting was a hidden neon bar. At the time it was relatively unique and he sold some to a movie theater chain for their lobbies. I saw some that were of dolphins. They didn't have the detail that your project has.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of my favorite things is led lit plexi . This is way cooler than what I can achieve with a laser though. The laser does a great job of cutting out and clear torching the perimeter though .

N/a , how did you cut the perimeter /border out , with the cnc router? If so I was wondering how many passes to cut threw what I believe to be 6mm plexi
I am using badog x2 that can take 5 to 10 mm per pass in aluminium so 4 mm in acrylic is a breeze

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Some folks look at this favorably.....I'm not one of them!
While this may not be something you like I think you would have to appreciate the work, craftsmanship, and knowledge that went into making this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts