Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am Luann , my first day here and first post. i want to make exterior doors and wanted to know how many folks have done this before and the best advice possible to achieve this.best bits , best table extension,biscuits or tent ions etc....

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Luann. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Sorry, never made exterior doors so can't be of help but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum. Luann

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Luann and welcome. Several bit manufacturers make door making bits. Freud is a good place to look. Mostly those address the matching profiles that you need to make where panels fit into the frame and where the cross members meet the uprights. There are 2 main problems with making doors and that is the size of the joints needed to give the frame stability and the size of the pieces that you have to work with.

A door is held up by the upright on the hinge side so the joints on that side have to hold the rest of the door up and resist the racking forces that gravity and human use apply to door. Generally that involves mortise and tenon joints and, at least in older doors, saddle/bridle joints. That this type https://www.google.ca/search?q=mort...aaw-_RAhUL3GMKHexBCr0QsAQIPg&biw=1920&bih=969 and this type https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridle_joint . Those are a bit hard to do with small equipment so if you want to do it there will be a learning curve to figure out how with what you have available.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
lucann, one tip that will help you is to buy the best material you can afford. Clear,no knots, vertical grain, kiln dried, lumber. The most common problem with doors is warping,they have to stay stable from top to bottom and from corner to corner. the exterior is exposed to the weather while the interior is exposed to the interior conditions.

Good luck,
Herb

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lucann.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
G'day Lucann/Luann, welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Luann. To speed up your post count just comment or say hello to other newcomers. You only have few to go and they could happen in one day.

Reactions: lucann
1 - 15 of 15 Posts