Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Just bought a brand new De Walt 625EK-QS and noticed a tiny bit of racking play in the pillars. Is this normal or should there be absolutely zero play?
I took a Trend T7 back the other day for the same reason, though that was far worse and no-one argued with it: money back straight away.

Also on the DeWalt: the speed control knob looks and feels cheap, wrongly sized and badly fitted. Am I alone in this?

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @Pete de B

I would suspect there would be slight "wriggle room" in the posts to allow for smooth plunge.

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
I think it depends on how much slight is. I'd do some test cuts in hardwood to make sure it's not showing up in miscuts. Not a problem if you can fit pieces precisely, but if not, you want to return it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try some test cuts soon Tom - for now I'm waiting for a 1/2" collet to arrive (my worktop jig is made in China - for the US market - yet sold in Europe), so there is a compatibility glitch: DW625EK-QS comes (here in Holland anyway) with a 12mm collet. I shall overcome....

Yesterday I 'tested' some routers in the tool stores to see how much play they had. I don't what the salespeople thought I was up to, but the results were interesting:
Europe's 'ultimate' brand was about the same as my deWalt (though the 1000-ish W variant was pretty much perfection), whereas a hobbyist's brand was better than expected. Yet another brand (which should know better) was dreadful. Lost indeed.

Having said all this, a perfect joint with a plunge router is a big ask, I would think, when joining two long kitchen worktop pieces. The end result must be flat, but this flatness depends on a end-grain joint (40mm in section - and both halves) being absolutely square in the vertical. (If it were a simple joint made with a circular saw I could cut both halves such that: the error in one was cancelled out by the opposing board. But that's not an option with a 'hockey-stick' joint of course...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just stumbled on this - not my issue exactly, but a comment (from Denis Lock) on pillar play and a possibly way to deal with it:

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't think that's pillar play. Sounds like plunge bit play...

As far as returning the Trend, employees don't get payed enough to argue a router.. They will just just take it back and move forward. You've had the problem with two routers in a row from two different manufacturers...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think that's pillar play. Sounds like plunge bit play...

As far as returning the Trend, employees don't get payed enough to argue a router.. They will just just take it back and move forward. You've had the problem with two routers in a row from two different manufacturers...
Trying to send a short video of the pillar play I have in the router but this server won't accept .mp4 files. Anyone know what format does work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts