Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
I see the new cart where is the new drill press?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
and compressor

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's sitting on my work bench. However I did use it to build this frame. I drilled the holes for the carriage bolts that holds frame together. Really pleased with drill press used the stop block on my Rockler auxiliary top to locate holes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I for one would like to see the finished cart.
What is that white stuff piled up against the house?
I have nothing but respect for any of you guys that will get out in the winter cold to work on projects.
I started my cutting board project yesterday and did it in increments. From the shop to the house to get warm
and it was 60 degrees. But I wore my jacket and gloves.
Hang in there Gary

David

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was high of 19 today no work here today. It has to be at lest in the 40 for me to work. I have only 1 complaint with the drill press the handle hits the back of the auxiliary table. I clamp the auxiliary table to the back edge of table and drew a centered line . I measured the distance from the center line to the front of auxiliary table and added a 1/4 inch . Then cut a block the width of the sum plus 1/4 inch and the width of drill press table . Then screwed to the center of the auxiliary table. Here is what impressed me with the dill press . I drilled the holes half through and flipped the piece over finished drilling . The holes were perfectly straight. The drill press was square out of the box.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Neeed help

Should I use 3/8 bolts to fasten the drill press? Is 2 enough or should there be 4? Should I put 2 or 3 brace in the back to keep from racking?
Should I use carriage bolts?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
full back and 4 bolts...
ledger the back sheet of ply in...

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
Agree on putting on a back. Otherwise it's a nice use of space. If you're going to put castors on it, I suggest using two fixed ones on the back and two locking swivels on the front. Make sure the swivel locks the tires and the swivel at the same time.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
front gussets wouldn't hurt...
face mount them w/ dadoes or rabbets...

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
I for one would like to see the finished cart.
What is that white stuff piled up against the house?
I have nothing but respect for any of you guys that will get out in the winter cold to work on projects.
I started my cutting board project yesterday and did it in increments. From the shop to the house to get warm
and it was 60 degrees. But I wore my jacket and gloves.
Hang in there Gary

David
60 degrees and you wore a jacket? Geez I was in my garage working at 14F for 90 minutes in a long sleeve T-shirt . We need to acclimate you David :D

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here the wheels are on and bolted down. Rolls along nicely . I used the drill press to make a template to drill holes for cabinet mount. I have to build the drawer and install . Other wise its harder to install the drawer. Then going to three braces and a back. Bought a 25 piece set of brad point bits, and 8 piece forstner bits sets, to go with drill press.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Add front gussets to prevent wracking...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
looking good..
now for the front gussets....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The gussets are in there just can't see plus added 3 to the back. Top of cabinet has a 2 x 2 frame bolted to the frame same on the bottom. I'll show pictures of back. P1420163a.jpg Look at the picture you see the 2 frames I add 2 more 2 x 2 across before finishing. In fact the frames are flat 2 inch x 1.5 stock. Four cross pieces top and bottom.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot but that top is 3/4 pine which was attached to that frame with 2 inch screw up through the 2 x2 frame. Bottom frame has 1/2 mdf on bottom frame that won't wrack. I'll take a picture of back gussets. Plus there is a 1 x 2 cover the 2 x2 frame top and bottom. I always over engineer for strength.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts