Router Forums banner

new drill press and pancake compressor cart

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  roofner 
#1 ·
Here is basic cart frame for new drill press.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I for one would like to see the finished cart.
What is that white stuff piled up against the house?
I have nothing but respect for any of you guys that will get out in the winter cold to work on projects.
I started my cutting board project yesterday and did it in increments. From the shop to the house to get warm
and it was 60 degrees. But I wore my jacket and gloves.
Hang in there Gary

David

#6 ·
Well it was high of 19 today no work here today. It has to be at lest in the 40 for me to work. I have only 1 complaint with the drill press the handle hits the back of the auxiliary table. I clamp the auxiliary table to the back edge of table and drew a centered line . I measured the distance from the center line to the front of auxiliary table and added a 1/4 inch . Then cut a block the width of the sum plus 1/4 inch and the width of drill press table . Then screwed to the center of the auxiliary table. Here is what impressed me with the dill press . I drilled the holes half through and flipped the piece over finished drilling . The holes were perfectly straight. The drill press was square out of the box.

#10 ·
Agree on putting on a back. Otherwise it's a nice use of space. If you're going to put castors on it, I suggest using two fixed ones on the back and two locking swivels on the front. Make sure the swivel locks the tires and the swivel at the same time.

#11 ·
front gussets wouldn't hurt...
face mount them w/ dadoes or rabbets...

Reactions: Ray Newman
#13 · (Edited)
Here the wheels are on and bolted down. Rolls along nicely . I used the drill press to make a template to drill holes for cabinet mount. I have to build the drawer and install . Other wise its harder to install the drawer. Then going to three braces and a back. Bought a 25 piece set of brad point bits, and 8 piece forstner bits sets, to go with drill press.

Attachments

#14 ·
Add front gussets to prevent wracking...

#16 ·
looking good..
now for the front gussets....

#19 · (Edited)
The gussets are in there just can't see plus added 3 to the back. Top of cabinet has a 2 x 2 frame bolted to the frame same on the bottom. I'll show pictures of back. Room
Look at the picture you see the 2 frames I add 2 more 2 x 2 across before finishing. In fact the frames are flat 2 inch x 1.5 stock. Four cross pieces top and bottom.

#26 ·
One of my best tool buys was the largest WEN bench type Drill Press. Really like that machine with continuous speed control without belts and pullies. Plenty of power for most uses, and a long travel and simple depth stop.

I think if I had a stand like that, I'd add a power source and outlet to the cart so I only used one cable to the wall. You're unlikely to use both tools at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.