Router Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick,

I have the exact same Jet DC (Model DC-1200VX, with Canister Kit), Vortex Cone, 2 HP, 230 volt, that you have I believe? Do you have 4" or 5" metal main duct running to your unit? I have been using the plastic, flexible, corrugated 4" line as a "temporary" measure (which has become a permanent set up) until I get a metal duct set up layed out and run. I will be running the metal main line for ~25 feet with the usual drops for TS, BS, Jointer, Miter Saw and lathe. I just roll my planer to a door and let it exhaust outside. Just wondered if a 4" trunk line would do the job. Would have metal blast gates for each machine.

Don
no... 4"" trunk will starve the unit...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Onieda 4" Cyclone Works Well

doesn't that set up choke your efficiency down???...

The Jet DC1100 has a 6 inch inlet. But I use all 4 inch hoses. If I am losing any efficiency I cannot detect it. The Onieda made my dC1100 more efficient because my canister is not clogged up with fine dust. I have emptied the barrel on the onieda twice since I have had it and so far there is no dust in the bag or the canister filter. I am quite happy with the cyclonic add on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Jet DC1100 has a 6 inch inlet. But I use all 4 inch hoses. If I am losing any efficiency I cannot detect it. The Onieda made my dC1100 more efficient because my canister is not clogged up with fine dust. I have emptied the barrel on the onieda twice since I have had it and so far there is no dust in the bag or the canister filter. I am quite happy with the cyclonic add on.
you'll get more velocity with the smaller hoses, and be able to pick up dust from further away:wink:. there is a limit to how small a hose you can use without losing efficiency though, you'd have to experiment..

·
Registered
308 Posts
Since I have 1100 CFM (therotically) a small loss of efficiency is not detected. The Jet DC1100 has always worked well but now it is really working. If I would change over to smooth wall pipes it would be better but like it is is good enough. I dont want to chase my tail on making it the absolutely best efficiency because it is working fine the way it is. I could spend a lot of time and money on improvements but I believe in the old saying "If it aint broke dont fixit". I only run one tool at a time so 1100 CFM is adequate for one tool with one hose attached to it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Is there any possibility the dust you are seeing is just dust blowing off the outer surface of the cartridge?

I have three dust collectors. One with two one micron bags with two plastic bags under them, another with two one micron cartridges and a Harbor Freight unit with an after market 1 micron bag. Once in a while, dust that settled on a bag will blow off, if I haven't fired up the collector since running the miter or firing up a belt sander.

Even the garbage bag the HF collector came with didn't kick out visible dust. It's hard to imagine a cartridge doing that. It it is, is sounds like others might be right about a defect or missing gasket.

I found some incense left behind by the former occupant. I keep it to test the seal of my cyclone on one of the big collectors. I move around the edge, slowly, looking for spots where the air would be drawn in. In your case, the same thing could be done, but looking for spots where the smoke is pushed away.

If worse comes to worse, borrow a cig from someone and use it the same way.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Most of us just measure the opening, then order an after market bag based on that. A "1 micron" bag would run about forty.

The bag on the Rockler 1250 is a 30 micron bag. They do have a 5 micron bag coming out in the future.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a Dylos DC1100 dust monitor that I have sitting near where I work most of the time. It is between the dust collector and my work bench and it runs all the time. I can see it from my work bench.

I also have two Jet air filtration units (AFS-1000B) suspended from the ceiling. The one furtherest away from the work area runs all the time. The one near the work area I turn it on when the monitor indicates a dust problem or when I am resewing on the bandsaw.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
How you could possibly mess up your dust collector cleaning HVAC duct? They are two unrelated systems at least in the normal sense. With my shop in my basement I do have the central return for that area covered to protect the HVAC duct and coils. I use 4" pleated MERV16 filters on my HVAC system and a ceiling hung Jet air filtration unit along with CV1800 dust collector which is using 6" PVC.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.