Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i am definately following this! it is not too late to change my mind and do the legs like that.

what screws does it call for? how deep are the countersinks? how wide is the wider piece?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are 3/8 and 6 inch long. I screwed up should have drilled 1/4 pilot holes. Very hard to
drive 3/8 screws without pilot holes. Going to put 3/8 dowels into drill pilot holes.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 2x8 larger but new standard 2x8 is 7.25 . Ripped a 2x10 removed both beveled edges and ripped 7.5 per print.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Gary, how are the ends that hold the long pipes in place attached to the well walls? I am imagining a few options, but I'm not really happy with any of them. Now I'm starting to think that just a 3" lag bolt would probably be adequate.

How are you going to attach them?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The plans I got are poor it has two workbench build descriptions and the main I looked at
does not show a connection. However the other does show that the tail stock has 5 screws anchoring the tail stock jaws to the end support for the long pipe then the clamp end is screwed to the jaws the jaws are 15 long and 1.25 thick and 3 inches wide. This jaws has 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch rabbit on each end. The floating jaw is 15 long 1.25 thick and 2 inches wide with the same rabbit on each end. The jaws are made out of hard wood. The end piece that has the holes for the long pipe is 1/2 shorter than your side supports so the jaws rabbited fits between the sides and sets on top of the pipe end support.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No progress weather has turned cold barely above freezing and no heat in my shed.
Had a few days warm weather when I started. Yesterday I got another side tract I had been looking for one of the sear radial arm saw that was one of the recall models and picked that up off from craigslist for $75. The saws slider had no wiggle at all when it slides much better than I thought I'd get at that price.
The recall includes brand new table and all new safety guards everything free. The bummer is 8 to 10 week delivery but free upgrade cant complain to much. Now I have to clean my other shed so I can make room for other stuff to move so I have room for the saw and new work bench in main shed.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I don't know where you're located Gary, but we've had high 20's to low 30's, damp, snow, sleet, wind for about two weeks. Feels colder than winter did.

Good score on the RAS. The MDF table they send is nicer than the original one that was on the saw i bought in Feb 2012. About the same money for mine--use it all the time.

earl

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Mine was the middle of February until sometime in May. I've heard of people getting them in 4 to 6 weeks--so it may depend on which version you need
earl

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I did get some major work done but my camera not working yet can't find my charger. I got the rails ripped to size and both legs are finished . Every thing lines up good on dry layout but want to take pictures of the stages of build. I also got good news they shipped the parts for my sears radial saw recall originally they told me 8 to 10 weeks. So my craigslist is find is coming faster than expected. I will have to put it aside for now to finish this project.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts