Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I been doing small projects for a while while never getting real serious into the hobby but am realizing how endless the ideas are and I’m started to expand my knowledge. Anywho, as for the question, that may need more information to be answered, are there different types of MDF boards? I am finishing up a project that was started years ago and just now getting around to completing it. The walls used a MDF board of some kind but the recent boards I purchased are not the same color by any means. The original ones are a yellowish brown while the recently purchased MDF board are a darker brown. Would like to keep the same color to finish the job. Any help is highly appreciated. Pics are attached...
Wood Rectangle Table Flooring Composite material

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum
I believe that color on the older pieces is due to aging

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping that was the case but if not then painting them is what it will be. Thank you for the reply, Semipro.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Curious about why you are using MDF on the walls? Is this coming to be part of a cupboard or something?

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
MDF is a very specific material. It comes in different thicknesses. It is a very dense and extremely heavy and is structurally very weak and subject easily to damage and if you get it wet, it will puff up. It is sawdust and glue, produces nasty sawdust when cut, and it doesn't always take paint well. Are you sure that's MDF? The material most often used is sheetrock, a sandwich of outer paper, plaster, and another layer of paper.

If you are planning to mount shelves or other items randomly on that wall panel, I suggest you go to plywood instead. You can get plywood in many different thicknesses and finishes. It also paints well. By the way, welcome. Excellent question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes. This is part of a garage that was started about 10 years ago. We were short by about 3 boards and I have some down time now so figured I’d finish it (long story). No shelves or anything of such, just putting up boards to cover seeing all the studs and insulation. I will prob end up trying to paint the new mdf boards and hope they come close to the older ones. Here is a picture of the original boards, they appear MDF but not 100 percent. Thanks again for the help
Brown Wood Beige Rectangle Floor

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It does look like MDF but since it is going to cover a wall there isn't any need or benefit to using it. It's heavy, expensive and as Tom pointed out will swell up and can't hold nails. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im just finishing up a job that was started years ago. I didn’t have any say about it. MDF board was used so I’m sticking to it. Simply just covering the portion where all the insulation and studs are showing. Would like to keep the same color or close to the original ones. I learned a lot in the last couple days about MDF board. I never really had a use for it before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts