Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site while searching for an answer regarding my router table. I am retired and can not believe how old I am. A lesson for you young guys, I was one of you just yesterday! Now I am pushing 70. I have been playing with wood since my 20's building everything from a garage, decks, clocks, furniture, cabinets and on and on. My shop is in my garage for the last 25 yrs prior while I lived up north near Pittsburg i had a nice 15' x 28' workshop in my basement which I still miss. Always looking for new tips, tricks and jigs. I am looking forward to a lot of interesting back and forth and hopefully I may be able to contribute some tips also.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I found this site while searching for an answer regarding my router table. I am retired and can not believe how old I am. A lesson for you young guys, I was one of you just yesterday! Now I am pushing 70. I have been playing with wood since my 20's building everything from a garage, decks, clocks, furniture, cabinets and on and on. My shop is in my garage for the last 25 yrs prior while I lived up north near Pittsburg i had a nice 15' x 28' workshop in my basement which I still miss. Always looking for new tips, tricks and jigs. I am looking forward to a lot of interesting back and forth and hopefully I may be able to contribute some tips also.
Thanks
John
Retired Eh! Welcome to the good life. I retired in July of '03 . It was difficult at first, being out of the main flow.
Today I realize it's the best thing since sliced bread. One problem: there is never enough time in a day to do what was planned. Solution: Don't plan. It's new, being older, being retired, being anonymous as time goes by. I've never been this old before so everyday is a day to look forward to. To your future, John!!! May it be a long one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Enjoy your retirement. Since you already have a workshop and tools and years of knowledge, your retirement will be icing on the cake. Your experience will be a great asset on this site. These folks are great. Very generous with their perspectives and always helpful should you want some specific advice about woodworking.

Welcome aboard and cherish each day.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
John,

You are just a youngster. I'll be 80 in a month and live about 20 miles from you, up I-85. Maybe we can get together some day.

I have made all kinds of things in my life from wood, metal, plastic, concrete, etc. I make the little reindeer (in the picture) every year to give to friends at Christmas. I make 4 sizes. The smallest is about 1" tall, and I make ear rings from them.

I recently made the "Apple Boxes" (a Hollywood name for them) for my photo/video studio (my other out-of-control hobby).. They are just spacers "12 X 20" and in heights of 8", 4", 2", and 1" so can be stacked to achieve any height in 1" increments up to 15". They get used to raise short people, objects, camera, photographer, etc. to any height needed up to 15". The 8" on it's end makes a good 20" height stool too.

The tool box is one of many that I have made from Baltic Birch with box jointed corners. Usually, I just put a couple of coats of poly on them and leave them a natural color. This one was for a friend who requested the color.

Charley

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,750 Posts
G'day John, welcome to the forum.

Good to see experienced woodworkers joining to help the newbies....

@roxanne562001 , trouble is, that number keeps increasing like the national Debt.....LOL

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Welcome Newbies.

Retirement just means every day is Saturday from now on, or a near equivalent. I usually have no idea what day it is, unless my wife reminds me, usually by telling me that I, or she, has a doctor appointment. No more doing what satisfies the boss, except for the one that you live with, and it was your choice of you you wanted to be that boss.

When I retired the first time, I had all kinds of plans to do and make things and the first two weeks I was working like crazy to get them all done as fast as possible, like back when working and I only had two day weekends to get things done. Then it hit me between the eyes - "Wait a minute". I've got the rest of my life to do these things". "If it doesn't get done today, I can do it tomorrow." Well, that was the plan, anyway. Then along came a job offer that paid way more than I had been making, and it included some travel, so I went back to work. When that ended, I told myself that "I was retired again, but a month later I was offered yet again another job for way higher pay than the last job. So I went out of retirement and back to work, again. So now I've retired 5 times, this last job being just one that I've always wanted to do, at least for a little while. It was driving the train that's in my Avatar. That was just for one Summer, and 4 years ago. I haven't, and don't want to, work for anyone at any pay anymore. The only one that can tell me what to do now is the wife, and she isn't always successful at it either.

Enjoy your every day Saturdays for the rest of your lives, guys. You've likely earned it. Stay well and busy. If you sit on the porch or in front of the TV, you will very likely be gone in a couple of years. I do my best to stay as active as my old and broken body allow. Building and creating keeps me mentally and physically active, and I think I'm happier and healthier for it. Now, we want photos of your accomplishments. Who else have you got to show them to.

Charley

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John. You will find our members to be friendly and helpful.
I retired a second time in 2013 and greatly enjoy the freedom that accompanies retirement. My wife is most enjoyable and understanding of my "needs" for woodworking "stuff". We are blessed with our disabled step-son who is alive and well living with us.

I am also blessed with a rather sizeable shop, about 25 feet x 40 feet, plus and additional 20 feet x 30 that I added on several years ago. I only started woodworking with any real effort upon retirement and after I completed the interior of the two buildings. During my working years I was chiefly an accountant and managed to spend 22 years as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff in a large California county.

A lot to learn about working with wood. The folks on this sight seem to know quite a bit. Your experience looks like it will add greatly to that knowledge bank.

Most of my projects are simple with butt joints. I have attached some pics.

Marvin Felli, north Texas
Property Wood Automotive tire Floor Shade

20x30 on the right; 25x40 on the left (before framed walls)

Furniture Tire Wheel Shelf Shelving

Storage cases for my step-son's bedroom. (clearly I didn't buy those saw horses)

Table Desk Workbench Gas Machine

Miter Saw station.

Property Wheel Automotive design Floor Flooring

Dust collection cart.

Wheel Floor Tool cabinet Service Engineering

Miter station rolling drawers.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electrical supply Engineering Cable

Clamp rack. ( I did 3 of different sizes)

Cabinetry Computer desk Chair Desk Table

Table for the lathe. (did 2 incase I buy an extension for the lathe)

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Just dreamin...

That's it for now. (I tried to use thumbnails but was unsuccessful.

Vehicle registration plate Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle Font

1 - 10 of 10 Posts