Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here, located in sometimes sunny/sometimes not Seattle, WA.

I’ve only been into woodworking since retirement in 2015, and enjoy the problem solving aspects of challenging projects. My sharp hand tools and good power tools have proven that precision is possible!

But I’ve also promised my wife that this will not turn into a tool collection hobby. Space constraints make that imperative.

I’m working on ideas for a better router table that has some challenging aspects, and Router Forums keeps popping up with appropriate discussions, so here I am! You folks seem like a pretty supportive bunch. TIA for help. I will do my best to return the favor.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,934 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What projects have you been doing and please, post pictures when you can especially if they help with the question.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,505 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a western Canadian. I envy you , as Avid cnc is in eastern Seattle

·
Premium Member
19,820 Posts
Hi and welcome to the fun. I too like the precision good tools allow. I got seriously into woodworking around 2007, but did DIY, carplentry and repairs since my youth. As to tool collecting, I was able to outfit my shop during my peak earning years, so I have a lot of tools and stuff. It's surprising to me how many have sat idle for a long time. There are so many things you can do with a few essential tools. One thing to NOT scrimp on is sawdust collection and wearing a mask, hearing protection and safety glasses (prescription glasses if you need them).

The biggest thing that changed the quality of my projects was buying a good table saw, a Laguna 10 inch Fusion saw. The saw I use least is a sliding miter saw, mainly for cutting to aproximate length. At any rate, attached is a pdf of the 18 plus things that helped me accelerate my learning curve. It covers a lot of ground, is long, but has lots of pictures. Hope it saves you some mistakes I made, but learned from.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the warm welcome!

As to projects, there are far too many photos in this SmugMug album:

Here’s one I just delivered to my daughter-in-law as a late Christmas present. It‘s stand for her pour over coffee made from ribbon sapele. She preferred this asymmetric look, having offered either rounded or “square” in the preliminary model. That triangular pocket holds the unused filters.

The upcoming project will be a folding but well-equipped router table in my “shop”, improving on the DW611 used in the little Rockler table in the photo below. Note that my work space is outside, covered from inclement weather, but otherwise exposed to the elements. I’ll move this discussion to a new thread in the Router Tables sub-forum, where I’ll have plenty of questions for you.. Pleare jump in with your thoughts over there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts