Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm fairly new to the woodworking game dabbled a bit but never anything I got to into but now I need a hobby that will hold my attention. I'm 37 fairly new dad to a 2y/o girl and would love to build her some things slowly adding to my tool collection. Hope to learn and see some good things here

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hi all I'm fairly new to the woodworking game dabbled a bit but never anything I got to into but now I need a hobby that will hold my attention. I'm 37 fairly new dad to a 2y/o girl and would love to build her some things slowly adding to my tool collection. Hope to learn and see some good things here
Welcome!

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
Hi, sounds like you're getting an early start on a great hobby. Your daughter almost certainly has you wrapped around her little fingers, they seem to bring out the best in us. I'd suggest you find little projects she can do as she gets older. Making bird houses is a good project, or making a doll house or a little playhouse in the back yard. It's a lot of fun and builds nice memories whether or not she likes and does woodworking later.

I've attached a pdf of the major things I've learned and experienced that accelerated my learning curve. It includes some information on tools and methods. It covers about a 12 year period and includes information about things I bought and loved as well as regretted. It covers a lot, but you don't need all of the stuff to do good woodwork. There's a good bit on table saws because it's the most basic of all woodworking tools. With a decent table saw, you can do a LOT. I bought most of my good tools during the highest earning years of my life, starting about 20 years ago.

Hope the pdf helps you going forward with the hobby, and since there are a lot of grandpas here, we'll enjoy reading about your new daughter. You're starting into what many of us consider the very best times of our lives, raising our children.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts