Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I am completely new to routing so please forgive my ignorance!

I have a rental home and the previous renter somehow made a drawer front on a bathroom vanity disappear.

I've bought a router and a package of router bits but I don't think I have the proper bit.

The profile (pictures attached) has two stepped-down levels with the inner/top level extending 1/2" into the wood face and it is 1/8" deep; and the outer/bottom level extending 1/4" into the face and it is also 1/8" deep. The profile edges are rounded (not hard right angles) where they transition from horizontal to vertical. I'm sure my terminology is all wrong, sorry!

I think I need a router bit like the one I've drawn. Please steer me in the right direction!

Thank you for your time.
(edited by moderator to help with photos)
Water Wood Natural material Rectangle Fluid

Rectangle Wood Publication Line Font

Handwriting Plant Tree Rectangle Font

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or would I just first run a 1/2" pass 1/8" deep around the perimeter, then run a 1/4" pass another 1/8" deep. Essentially separating the 1/2" and 1/4" sections of the bit I drew into two separate bits?

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
That was probably done with a shaper but no reason you can't do it with a router. How many drawers are there? If it's only 2-3 you could just make new drawer fronts with whatever bit you find that you like and they'll all match.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was probably done with a shaper but no reason you can't do it with a router. How many drawers are there? If it's only 2-3 you could just make new drawer fronts with whatever bit you find that you like and they'll all match.
I thought of just obliterating the current profiles on all drawers & doors with a new profile but there are several false drawer fronts fixed in place and then I'll be getting into disassembly of this whole old vanity and it's just not worth it. I'm trying to create 1 new drawer front to match the others as close as possible and then the whole vanity will be painted white. I'm pretty sure I can replicate the 1/2" & 1/4" profiles with right angles with the bits I have. There won't be a radius but I can probably cheat on that with a bead of caulk. Prime it all and paint it and you'll probably never notice. I'll do one more trip to the hardware store to see what I can find....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone. I am the owner of the house and my renter for the past 6 years moved out August 31st. He was really hard on the house and the missing drawer front was only one of the issues. I decided that I was spending entirely too much time worrying about matching the router profile so I just gave it a standard rounded edge. Doesn't match but it will be good enough once it's all painted Swiss Coffee white. I stopped short of just replacing the vanity because I have to have it ready for a new renter this Friday, October 1st. Next year I'll be replacing the 2 bathroom vanities and kitchen cabinets. But now I'm looking for new things to rout!

Wood Tool Wood stain Hardwood Rectangle

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
I doubt a renter will be too concerned if the profiles do not match, especially as the home was previously rented.

There are always odd bits to be found.

Reactions: Straightlines

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you everyone. I am the owner of the house and my renter for the past 6 years moved out August 31st. He was really hard on the house and the missing drawer front was only one of the issues. I decided that I was spending entirely too much time worrying about matching the router profile so I just gave it a standard rounded edge. Doesn't match but it will be good enough once it's all painted Swiss Coffee white. I stopped short of just replacing the vanity because I have to have it ready for a new renter this Friday, October 1st. Next year I'll be replacing the 2 bathroom vanities and kitchen cabinets. But now I'm looking for new things to rout!

View attachment 399690
Not sure if including company websites are allowed but I've used OrbitTools, Orbit Tool Works – Custom Router Bits & Shaper Cutters – Custom Made Router Bits and Shaper Cutters For Less, three times for specialized router bits. I live in a Pacific Northwest house built in 1906 with what I believe is original molding around doors and windows. The bits aren't cheap or inexpensive but they do take a few weeks to be manufactured. Here's the first one I had done (2.6" diameter) along with a constructed corner made out of Hemlock (Doug Fir too expensive but was used for the original trim, also glued two pieces together for the test run). Cut it in one pass using a feeder (at least a hundred feet of it!).

Wood Finial Hardwood Gas Metal

Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

·
Registered
114 Posts
A) You might have been able to find a ready made drawer front online.
B) With a router, there are all kinds of cool patterns you can come up with by combining different bits in multiple passes. In other words, build up the complex patterns with a number of simple profiles that are added together with different offsets and heights. This is what Chris Itin was suggesting.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @plink53 .

Congratulations on your first post since 2009. I trust the forum has been of benefit....

·
Registered
58 Posts

I have a rental home and the previous renter somehow made a drawer front on a bathroom vanity disappear.

I've bought a router and a package of router bits but I don't think I have the proper bit.

The profile (pictures attached) has two stepped-down levels with the inner/top level extending 1/2" into the wood face and it is 1/8" deep; and the outer/bottom level extending 1/4" into the face and it is also 1/8" deep. The profile edges are rounded (not hard right angles) where they transition from horizontal to vertical. I'm sure my terminology is all wrong, sorry!

I think I need a router bit like the one I've drawn. Please steer me in the right direction!

Thank you for your time.
View attachment 399649
View attachment 399650
View attachment 399648
There's several ways to go about it. You might purchase a bit with the same pattern. Or use a round nose bit, flute bit,

Thank you for your time.
View attachment 399649
View attachment 399650
View attachment 399648
There are ways to go about this. You might purchase the bit. But you may only use this bit only one time. You may be better off to use a Round Bull bit, Cove bit, Flute bit or Bowl/Dish bit. And use several passes (sneaking up each pass) on the router table to get your formed shape. This is what I would do if it's a one time usage. If you don't have a router table to use, do you have a guide fence that attaches to the router?

For this pattern, may have been done on a Shaper Routing table with a pattern cutter knife, if done at a cabinet shop.

I looked though three of the catalogs I have Grizzly, Whiteside and MLCS. Did not see the specific bit your looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.