Router Forums banner

New Guy

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  pigpen60 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm Tom or pigpen60 I dont have a router yet but Its on its way. I prefer welding and machining but I built a chainsaw mill and cut some boards that need to be trued up to do something with. I am a retired maintenance mechanic.

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

About that inquisitiveness of yours... We are all over that, we can help, we really can, w/ have some ''light reading'' for you...
We've gathered together is a bunch of pertinent/relative information on routering in this here link ... You should find everything (at least most) quite useful, a lot of help and get you off to a running start in the world of routers... Enjoy...

Do take some time and read the safety PDF's... PLEASE!!!
Blood and trips to the ER, we find, are very annoying... Not to mention – expensive...

We do welcome all questions on about any subject you can come up w/ too....
Not only that, we excel at spending your money...

BUT!!! BUT!!!
According to your icon window yur choosing to be known as N/A...
So...... Again... Welcome to the forums N/A...

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Tom! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel. Add your location to your profile, as well.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing with the boards once you true them up?

David

#6 ·
Hi Tom and welcome. I bought one of those type mills and cut some logs with early this summer. It's quite a workout for both the person and the chainsaw. The trick is getting the first slab off to get a level working surface. If I were going to do that with any regularity I think I would build something closer to a Logosol and have one side flop down on hinges to make it easy to load logs on and then run the saw on fixed rails.

#9 ·
G'day and welcome to the forum, Tom.

#15 ·
Hi, Tom...welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you...good luck with the mill...!

#16 ·
Tom I have a question for you. Did you design and build the mill yourself or did you build it from a kit?

#17 ·
I looked at the pictures and cut up a pile of 1" square tube and started welding. Its crude and heavy, I learned from it. My Dolmar 6400 with a 28" bar and chain couldnt keep the bar tip oiled at full output and I started to pour bar oil on at the start of the cut. I need to build an auxiliary oiler for the bar tip. And I recommend extra chains and a chain grinder. It worked me over pretty good so I started slacking on the sharpening which just made things worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.