Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hello Tour and welcome to the Router Forums. A finer group of members can't be found. They will answer your questions and help you anyway they can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joe,
Ok here is the first of mine. What is the better routers to use in a table top cast iron top. I have one that I am dieing to put a router in.
By the way I have hawked your site long begor gettig here
Tour

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Tour, as a rule we suggest using the fixed base from a combo kit for table mounting, or removing springs from a plunge router. Either way will work fine. As far as which brand, this is a personal choice. Why don't you spend a moment and read my blog; Sawdust Dreams in the blogging section. It has good information on choosing a router, bits and other items.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike. I guess I should get a larger one for my shop> Even though It is growing to a cabinet shope pretty soon Mos all of my other things are very industrial, mostly 3 ph. If you like I could sen you some pics of what I have thus far
Tour

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Oh to have the room in my shop like yours. Looks as though you are ready for some serious woodworking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mike. All I have wanted to do since I worked in a cabinet shop while going to college was woodwork. I got a pretty good job out of college and it has paid well but been it's like a chair you couldl never get seated good in. So for the last 3 yrs I have been gathering tools and putting together a shop so I can quit my job and wood work. Now I have no grand ideas of makeing a pile of money but i do want to be able at the end of the day to leave work smileing and look fwd to going back the next day
Tour

·
2,392 Posts
Oh Tour!

What a shop you have!! Fantastic!!

I would get pooped out just hiking from one end to the other & side to side!! :) :)\

That one huge gray router looking thing looks like a brute Shaper to me... is it?

Beautiful bench, etc... I can't imagine working in a shop like yours... that has all of that wonderful room!!

I'm cramped for space and am continuously trying to reorganize things so I can USE what tools I have!! :)

Thank you for the pics! Very nice!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks gentalmen. I am lluck to have a woman that likes wood working or the things that can be made from wood and an old house 100yr old, that we are going to restore /remodel. So I will be posting pics as we move throught the house if everyone would be intrested in that. I am trying to get some wormy chestnut wood now to build cabinets for the kitchen.
Yes Joe its a Fay&Egan shaper. Monster.7 1/2 hp that thing weighs 2500 lbs
I poured 6 in of concrete with rebar in the floor for all this stuff.
I just bought a 25" sander for the cabinets and I hope it will be here in a few days.
If any of you guys are ever around this part of the country it would be a big honor for me if you would drop by and say hello and have a pot of caffine and I am sure the misses would have apple pies or maybe some novacs soon to follow
Tour
Oh that gray thing in the corner.... most can't tell from the pic is a tenon machine. I forget to lable things most of the time

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Tour
NICE SHOP :)

I see the 3 ph. breaker box on the wall , how did you get them to drop in 3 ph. power for a home shop ? or are you in a comm. building lot. ?

I wish I could get them to do that for my shop but they said NO WAY BUD :)
I could get a converter but it's a bit of a pain to do that.
But the 3ph.equipment is almost always the best and can be had at the right price.

Bj :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Bob
Actually I live in TVA territory. On the cornor of my property there use to be a pump house for the water dept. The canisters are still on the pole for the 3 ph. It cost me a total of one time fee of $600 to hook up + $8 a month for the power.
Yes I get some nice machines because no one has the power for 3 ph.

Tour

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Tour

TVA= ??? = Tennessee Valley Electric ?
My shop has it's own meter and it runs me about 15.oo month if I don't do any welding that is. :) I wish I could get mind down to 8.oo per. but 3ph. is a lot cheaper to run.
I see you are using light duty wire for your 3ph. how does that work for you ?, how do you get by without running the wire in pipe ?.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be building walls in front of the wireingI have some o fthem framed just not finishde. As long as there is a wall in front of the wireing no need for pipeing. The wireing is 10 fo rthe ph 3 stuff. The box is dual voltage I can run 110,220, or 230 3ph out of it.
Tour

1 - 20 of 31 Posts