Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to routing and made my first sign over the weekend using tips from this forum. We have a small hobby farm and my first project is name plates for our four horses. Hank got the first sign (shortest name) and it gave me an opportunity to use a couple of my router bits freehand for various parts of the job, and to use my unheated workshop which is the old grain storage area of our barn. Baby steps... :) Herb (near Ottawa Canada)

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us, Herb.

Are you going to apply a finish to the sign? Great result, by the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi James, thanks for the welcome. The interior of the stables is ash milled by my neighbor. The signs are end cuts from the 4th stall we just completed. The only finish is the equine artwork left by the horses when they do their business up against the wall :) We measure the growth of our filly as the manure stains creep up the planks. The ash nameplates will eventually discolour to match the ash on the door. When I get a bit more comfortable with freehand routing I will start making stained and varnished signs to decorate the buildings around the property (probably much to the chagrin of my wife).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Pro Results

Hello, I am new to routing and made my first sign over the weekend using tips from this forum. We have a small hobby farm and my first project is name plates for our four horses. Hank got the first sign (shortest name) and it gave me an opportunity to use a couple of my router bits freehand for various parts of the job, and to use my unheated workshop which is the old grain storage area of our barn. Baby steps... :) Herb (near Ottawa Canada)
Great Job! Looks totally professional. New Hobby? Really?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Herb, That is a very nice-looking sign, and I would say that even if you had been doing this for many years! I know HANK is very proud as well as your other horses are envious! You would make a good target-shooter, with your steady hand! Ash is a very fine choice of woods and is one of my all-time favorite woods to work with. My long duration hobby is keeping snakes (currently I have 20), which I have been doing since May of 1961 - over 50 years, now. I have a collection of snakes that live in built-in cages - where I get to showcase some of my woodworking skills. It is fun when hobbies have crossovers!

·
Registered
193 Posts
A freehand job to be very proud of. If I ever attempt freehand work I hope I can do half as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Otis, funny you should mention target shooting... 32 year police veteran, never thought the steady hands would make me a good router operater :) I am glad I only have 4 horses, I can't imagine making 20 nameplates for snakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Reg, to be honest, several feet of ash were sacrificed learning by error. Every bit reacts differently to depth and speed... I find smaller diameter works best but require patience and the bigger diameters are limited to the depth unless one doesn't mind being buried in shavings. Learning curve is pretty much vertical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts