Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined, here's a creative woman whose into art, photography, a variety of building and design projects who is totally NEW to using routers! I have a Milwaukee #5616-20 mounted on a Bosch RA1181 Router Table, and am finally trying to finalize set-up and start using it. I know it will take me to the next level, but have a lot to learn. Hoping y'all can help. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jenny . There’s a great bunch of people here who are eager to help .
Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do . Ps, if your shops not insulated, it’s best to keep it to yourself lol

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome Jenny...
enjoying your spring like weather compared to everyone else's winter...
here'a some PDF's and other to help ypu w/ your knowledge base...

Attachments

Reactions: JennyMM

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
couple more...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
some for the midnight oil...
look to the R5 101807_RT... it has your table in it...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jenny. Stick's already given you a list of great reading. When you have questions, and I'm sure you will, just ask. Folks here are more than willing to help out.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@JennyMM...
BTW..
if some of the pictures/charts are hard to read just click on them... they'll enlarge to screen size...
also, everything posted is savable to your hard drive...

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Jenny

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
Hi Jenny, Stick's stuff is really worth reading. I want to suggest a couple of things. First, I recommend you buy some OK wood to practice on. Don't have to be expensive, but hopefully knot free and a grain pattern you can see clearly on the edges and on each face. Using a router in the table is pretty darn safe compared to freehand use. Watch some videos on YouTube of people using their routers. It will help you to see how they hold and move things.

I rarely do routing without using a pad with a handle on it. I don't like haveing my hands withing 6 inches of a bit or saw blade--inattention can ruin you day (and fingers). I like to watch the videos by Marc Sommerfeld--who sells router related stuff, but was a long time cabinet maker before that. Notice how he uses square pieces of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) to both push and back up the cuts he makes. That helps keep the bit from tearing out a bit from your workpiece.

I also urge you to get a dust mask. I use the power air respirator in the picture, from Rockler Woodworking, which has a built in fan behind the filters to put positive pressure into the mask to keep sawdust out or your lungs. I keep a couple of sets of rechargeable AA batteries on hand so I can work for a long time. Well worth getting right away. You can never clear your lungs of the kind of dust MDF puts out.

Here's the link: Power Air Respirator | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jenny. As you can see there is a wealth of information here free for the asking. From time to time you will even find a little humor. Great group of people.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jenny.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Jenny; welcome!
Read (and follow!) everything you can on using routers safely...they bite...hard. Lots of opposing opinions amongst the members here, but in my opinion using a table mounted router is more dangerous because BOTH your hands are exposed. Free hand routing, both hands are on the router and the bit is shielded. Keep in mind I'm only talking about the safety aspect; clearly the usefulness of a table mounted router is exceptional.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for offering so much info, Stick! I will start working my way through the lists ... already have several pages of notes from my previous research.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.