Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my birthday on Sunday so I'm hoping the Kids have chipped in for a new laptop for Dad.The present one is only 4 years old but I have to hold the screen in a certain position to see both sides of the screen. I remarked about this previously (laptop on the fritz) & received some fantastic responses but the model I'm using has no screws to undo to get inside it. As everyone can see,this one is still operational but it takes a long time to type anything & I'm very slow anyhow Maybe I have warned others about purchasing this model laptop? LENOVO "Ideapad" 110
Best wishes,James jj777746:|

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
just make sure it has W7 on it and not 10...

·
Premium Member
19,008 Posts
Win 7 is what most of my machines run, I have one Win 10 and it isn't awful. They've removed some of the really bad things about 8, but it still keeps you from working on it until Bill has installed all the latest crap on it. He may already have 10 because most people don't know the difference. Win 7 should be good for 4-6 more years. I still have a couple of Win XP machines running, but they're seldom online and all have an up to date security suite installed. Got a good deal, 10 licenses for $100, which seems to be Norton's response to PCMatic's pricing. I also don't much like the 64 bit version of 7 and prefer the 32 bit version.

Win 10 is OK, it still runs Office 2003, which is the best version ever in IMHO. Online it says you can't run it on 10, but it works fine. I use WORD a LOT and the pull-down menus are far superior to the Ribbon in later versions -- which seem like a throw back to the menus that were in the ancient DOS version of WordStar. I have accumulated about 36 licenses for Office 2003. Not running as many machines these days, 2 XP (playback mostly), 2 Win 7 desktops and a 7 laptop and the 10 laptop. XP is to me the best GUI of all.

·
Super Moderator
3,525 Posts
I'm running Win 7 Home Premium on my CNC controller computer with Mach4. I've stripped it down to about bare bones although I do have Adobe reader for PDF's and Word/Excel 2007. Had to install those so I could read installation and setup files for the CNC and I occasionally crunch some numbers in Excel out in the shop. It runs fine for what it is and serves its purpose gracefully.

This computer, in the house, is my 'beast'. Or at least it was when I had it built 3 years ago. Win 10 Pro with which I have no issues, Office Enterprise 2007, Fusion 360, CorelDraw, PowerDirector 16 for creating my videos, etc. It's an i7 with 16 GB RAM, 2 TB Western Digital Black for files, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 video card, and a 250 GB SSD for the operating system. It boots in 12 seconds, sort of like an old 386 machine running DOS!

I'm due to format and reinstall Win 10 on this machine soon. I do that once a year to stave off issues, keep it running smooth, etc. sort of like getting a tune up on a car.

David

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
give open office and nitro for the pdf's a try...

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
and a 250 GB SSD for the operating system. It boots in 12 seconds, sort of like an old 386 machine running DOS!
I had heard how fast booting from a SSD was, but it wasn't until I lost the motherboard in my desktop I found out first hand. I should have done it sooner, and may put the OS on my wife's computer as well.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
James...What a thoughtful gift idea! I hope you get your wishes! Happy Birthday!
Thanks Gary,I'll let you know.I tell the "Kids"not to spend their money on presents for me but they don't listen.James.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts