Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

How did I never find this place before now? I’ve been dabbling in woodworking since Jr High shop class. I retired a few years ago and the wife and I travelled the country for a while after. We’ve settled down now in Bradenton FL and have been getting a small shop set up in one bay of our 3 car garage.

Looking forward to participating in the forums

Bud

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum, Bud

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
Welcome. Retirement is great and more than a few woodworkers started after finishing up working life. Many members here are teachers at heart and love to reply to questions from someone just getting into the hobby. Here is a pdf of the 18 plus things that helped me accelerate my learning curve. It's kind of long and detailed, but it has pictures and might help you avoid some costly pitfalls.

Pay particular attention to the section on dust collection. To me, the single most important tool in any shop is the table saw, the very best you can afford. A drill press, and table mounted router come next. It's all in the pdf.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Tom - nice article you wrote. (y)

I’m in pretty good shape. I had a Delta contractor saw but wanted to upgrade. I gave it to a nephew and bought a Sawstop PCS. Fantastic saw, not to mention the safety features. I also have a Dewalt 12” miter saw, Jet 6” jointer. Delta 12” planer, Wen 14” drill press and a bench top lathe. Also an assortment of hand tools. I would like to add a band saw, but my little shop is already getting crowded. I am concerned about dust, I have an off-brand 1 HP dust collector that I converted to a filter from the dust bag and also found a Jet 1000 CFM overhead dust fil on Craigs list that I hung up.

Did I mention routers? I have an old Craftsman 1 HP from years ago. Then I got a Dewalt 3 1/2 HP VS plunge router. I was making a few things and wanted a little trim router so I got a Ryobi cordless model for that. I knew I wanted a router table so I was on the look for a good motor to hang from a lift for my future router table. Again found a nice PC router combo on craigslist so I grabbed it. Lo and behold, After I ordered a table from sawstop I found a Craigslist ad for one with the lift, dust box AND another PC 3 1/4 VS router so I grabbed that as well.

I have plenty of tools, just need to find the time (why are we so busy in retirement?) to hone my skills.

My daughter was been on me for years to make her a jewelry box, so that is the project I’m on now. I have some nice walnut for it, no excuses.

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Tom - nice article you wrote. (y)

I’m in pretty good shape. I had a Delta contractor saw but wanted to upgrade. I gave it to a nephew and bought a Sawstop PCS. Fantastic saw, not to mention the safety features. I also have a Dewalt 12” miter saw, Jet 6” jointer. Delta 12” planer, Wen 14” drill press and a bench top lathe. Also an assortment of hand tools. I would like to add a band saw, but my little shop is already getting crowded. I am concerned about dust, I have an off-brand 1 HP dust collector that I converted to a filter from the dust bag and also found a Jet 1000 CFM overhead dust fil on Craigs list that I hung up.

Did I mention routers? I have an old Craftsman 1 HP from years ago. Then I got a Dewalt 3 1/2 HP VS plunge router. I was making a few things and wanted a little trim router so I got a Ryobi cordless model for that. I knew I wanted a router table so I was on the look for a good motor to hang from a lift for my future router table. Again found a nice PC router combo on craigslist so I grabbed it. Lo and behold, After I ordered a table from sawstop I found a Craigslist ad for one with the lift, dust box AND another PC 3 1/4 VS router so I grabbed that as well.

I have plenty of tools, just need to find the time (why are we so busy in retirement?) to hone my skills.

My daughter was been on me for years to make her a jewelry box, so that is the project I’m on now. I have some nice walnut for it, no excuses.
I'd say you're pretty well set. You can't find time, look in every nook and cranny and you won't find a second's worth. You have to schedule it, at least that's how it is for me. Assign yourself big blocks of time for your shop. The time will go fast because you're enjoying yourself so much. After awhile you will probably have to say no to some activities in order to have shop time, I know I have had to do that.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
G'day Bud and welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bud. Retirement does seem to be "more busy" then when I was working which is crazy as I typically worked 55-60 hours a week back then. I think the key is keeping organized and on some schedule even if it is a bit more lax now. Not to complain but when I get on emails in the morning it amazes me how much time can be gobbled reading such things as the current items on forums and most of us belong to more then one. Enjoy the journey and make some sawdust.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Morning Bud, I love retirement but who doesn't? I should have done it 30 or 40 years ago. I'm a snowbird and I'm in Bradenton also. Watch out for the drivers here they are nuts beyond compare. Had a car totaled on Cortez two years ago almost tipped the car over. Who gets a car totaled on a city street? Sunny and 70 today don't you just love it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.