Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is Thad and I am fairly new to woodworking. My step-father loved to work with wood and had an impressive shop prior to his passing in 2009. It was something that looked interesting, but it never grabbed me - until now. I kick myself for not being interested in it sooner. The estate sale liquidated his entire shop, tools, wood stock and memories for pocket change. He had close to $15,000 invested in his hobby and it all went out the door for about $2,000.

Sigh :)

I did take a few items that I thought might come in handy with honey-do lists, but the choice equipment was nothing I could/would use at the time.

I started to get a bug to make my own shelves, maybe make some picture frames, or possibly replace molding in our home. I started to look at furniture and noticed that there is an unending supply of projects online that can be purchased and built.

Christmas came and there was a new table saw under the tree with some clamps. I recently bought a Porter Cable 693LRPK router. It came with a fixed base and a plunge base. I also read the sticky on router bits to start with. I picked up the Woodcraft 10 bit set 1/2" shank (thanks Mike) and a tongue and groove set by Freud.

I should have researched and read more before I bought the tongue and groove set. Freud recommends those bits be used at 16,000 rpm. My router is fixed at about 27,000 rpm. I am guessing that it would be a bad idea to use these bits in my router.

My shop is currently in my garage. It shares space with my VW and my wife's car. A week ago, I made a workbench that turned out nicely. I have made a router table for my router that clamps on to the workbench.

I am glad that there is a helpful community here with useful information! Thanks for the forums and the help you have provided already. I look forward to learning and sharing my stumbles as well as my successes.

Thanks again,

Thad

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us, Thad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Thad, I am new to the forums myself and fairly new to woodworking. In response to your router bit dilema, there are devices that can be added on to your router that will vary the speed of your router. I'm not sure who sells a good one but I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight for under $20.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As for your garage - those cars will have to go. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! Maybe my wife's car, but my VW stays put. Well... sorta. I did move it out so I could work and left it out over night a couple of times when I was rearranging my side of the garage. VWs are my first love, but my heart has room for woodworking :)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Cars are designed to be out in the weather, Thad (tools;not so much)...
Which is more important, your VW or your 'mancave'?!
:)
I feel your pain on not saving your Dad's tool collection. I had my Grandfather's blacksmithing tools for years, until they were stolen in a break-in.
I also lost his antique wooden planes and carpenter's square in the same incident.
I know the retards that took them got nothing for them and that just makes it worse.
Oh! Welcome, by the way.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cars are designed to be out in the weather, Thad (tools;not so much)...
Which is more important, your VW or your 'mancave'?!
:)
I feel your pain on not saving your Dad's tool collection. I had my Grandfather's blacksmithing tools for years, until they were stolen in a break-in.
I also lost his antique wooden planes and carpenter's square in the same incident.
I know the retards that took them got nothing for them and that just makes it worse.
Oh! Welcome, by the way.
The VW - if I really have to choose :) There is room for both though! :D I may be able to move the woodworking venture into our unused game room in the basement. It is about 24' x 24'. Plenty of room in there for a man cave. If my wife complains, I'll just tell her she gets the rest of the house.

That is terrible about losing your Grandfather's tools. The only silver lining I have is that a good friend bought most of my step-dad's tools and has put them to good use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts