Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I haven't really done a great deal of router work but that is about to change.
Right now I own the Skil 1820, which only uses the 1/4" shank bits.
Now I picked up the Workshop Solutions magazine with the home built router table on the cover that caught my eye and I think I'm going to attempt to build this.
Now from looking around the most refered router for this would be the Milwaukee 5625-20 3-1/2 HP Fixed-Base Router and I also noticed there is a -29 version out there as well.
Would this be an ideal router to use?
I am redoing some of the kitchen cabinets, and was going to make a door that matched our cabinets for a project I want to do for my wife.
What really started this search for the 'right' router is that I was told a 1/4" shank router won't do the job properly and I needed to go to 1/2" and a router properly designed for a table application.
I know it might sound like quite a bit to take on but I feel confident enough to tackle it and I have alot of scrap wood to practice with first.
Any input would be very well appreciated, for I'm not the kind of person to blindly go and buy stuff without doing at least some kind of research.
Thanks in advance....Eric

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If you use the search feature in the frorums you should find all kinds of posts that discuss which router to buy.

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Welcome to the forums Eric. You heard correct for doing raised panels you should use a 1/2" bit because they take the strain of the bits you will probably be using.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after some reading and soul searching I purchased the Milwaukee 5625-20 and also the 1/4" collet so I can use the ones I have for my Skil.
Now if I'm correct I need to get the plate for the router table I want to build, which ever one that should be.
Should I be looking for a specific plate, or what should I be looking to do/get next?
I know I should be pick out which style table I want to build, other than that am I missing something?
Thanks for all your suggestions so far......Eric

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Eric, glad to have you on the forums with us.

Dave
the "Doctor"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts