Router Forums banner

New member, in Virginia

831 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jw2170 
#1 ·
Just saying hello. I have used routers for some years now, and have joined the forum to improve my knowledge thereof. My last project was an assist to my wife who needed a number of smallish softwood plaques that would be used as the bases for decoupaged photos - a craft project for the ladies at church. So, I cut down the dimensional lumber on my relatively new table saw and well-used miter saw, and then cut a nice edge all the way around using my table-mounted router and a pair of bits (straight and cove).

My next project will be to assist a friend in building a 16'-18' lapstrake boat. My plan is to use a trim router for final sizing and beveling of the planks. I have not seen a specific means of doing that, but have an idea in my head that I think will work.

Alan

#4 ·
Hi Alan

see the Scarfing Sled videos

========
Thanks for the scarfing sled videos. Very useful for turning 8' plywood into 16' planks. I've seen home made versions of sleds like that. My initial post regarding sizing of the planks deals with establishing their final width, on the boat form. Beveling lapstrake planks is done to properly overlap them (think Viking design). If/when I get that second part figured out, I'll post pictures on the forum.

#3 ·
Greetings Alan and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

#5 ·
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.