Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello fellow woodworkers. My name is Kurtis. I've first started playing with wood when I was in the 7th grade, took a few decades off, and got back into it about a decade ago now.

A few years ago I was building a doll bed for my Mom because she has a pristine doll that use to belong to her Grandmother. Because the doll was an antique I wanted to make her a pretty cool doll bed to display it on. On the headboard I wanted to place a flower and on the footboard I wanted the same design just made out of different materials.

I tried marquetry and didn't like the time it took, lack of repeat-ability, and how easy it was to sand through the veneer. Will never use this technique again!!! I had used a Sears inlay kit before to make some hearts, bowties, and diamonds but I couldn't find any cool templates on the market so I created my own.

Since then I've built hundreds of inlays and consider myself well versed in the inlay building process. I am also in the process of starting up a small business,(as soon as kurtis has 10 posts you cam Pm him for instruction to his site )to teach the home woodworker how to build decorative inlays. I also am selling decorative inlay templates to the home woodworker of all skill levels.

If you have a few minutes please visit my site and click on the How To section. This is where I put up instructions on how to build an inlay (not just my inlays but any inlay) I would appreciate feedback on how well you understand the techniques and steps I've presented there.

Below you'll see some of the designs I've created. The Christmas Ornaments are going to be the center of a Kickstarter campaign I'll be launching within a week... if everything goes well that is. I hope you enjoy the pictures and can imagine how a simple inlay can totally change the look of your woodworking projects!!! :yes4:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,956 Posts
Hello Kurtis, glad you found us, it's great to have you as a member of the community, welcome to Router Forums.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the implied advertising in my introduction that wasn't my intent!!! My intent was to direct people to a How To Build a decorative inlay series of videos. As this is a router forum , and a plunge router is used to build inlays, I thought I could provide some good instructions on how to use a plunge router to build an inlay. After I get off probation I'll re-purpose some of that content here. After all I have built hundreds of inlays and can offer a bunch of suggestions, gotchas, and ways to fix things when building inlays. My Bad... :(

·
Super Moderator
John
6,956 Posts
Kurtis thank you for your understanding.
I for one am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks interesting , Kurtis , looking forward to your posts.

Rog

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kurtis.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kurtis. I have to say there's some pretty impressive work right there ;)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Looking forward to future posts from you Kurtis.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Kurtis. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Pics look nice.. you've done some awesome work there. I look forward to learning from whatever you choose to share with us.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Welcome Kurtis. Glad you joined us.

I checked out your website and it looks promising. I'll look forward to picking your brain and expertise.

I, too, am in the process of making a cradle for my 94 year old mother's doll. She received this for her 12th Christmas present and just had it restored. Like you I want to add some decoration to the head and foot board. I considered just doing some scroll saw work and after many and sometimes violent arguments, with myself, I had settled on trying inlay. So, you showing up here is fortuitous.

Again, welcome.

Bill

·
Registered
127 Posts

I checked out your website and it looks promising. I'll look forward to picking your brain and expertise.

I, too, am in the process of making a cradle for my 94 year old mother's doll. She received this for her 12th Christmas present and just had it restored. Like you I want to add some decoration to the head and foot board. I considered just doing some scroll saw work and after many and sometimes violent arguments, with myself, I had settled on trying inlay. So, you showing up here is fortuitous.

Again, welcome.

Bill
I can't find any reference to the website address in any of post Bill. Can you post the url. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Paul; new members have to have over 10 posts before they can include URLs
The anti-spam thing.
Kurtis; you're almost there! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love the doors Larry (Knot Working). I want to put an inlay on a front door one of these days. Can't do it on mine because it's painted black but I'll find one someday...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Again, welcome.

Bill

Hi Bill...
If you never tried building an inlay before there are two rules (that apply to all woodworking) and five simple steps. The rules are:
1.) Only one thing moves, either the machine doing the cutting or the material being cut. In the case of an inlay only the router moves.
2.) Sharp tools cut best. Make sure you are using a carbide spiral down cut router bit. You may have to play with the speed of the router to get an optimal cut too.

The steps for building an inlay are pretty basic:
1.) Properly prepare the inlay materials. Double sided tape is your friend for this step.
2.) Attach the template to the material being cut and secure to the work bench. NOTHING but the router moves!!!
3.) Cut a void into the base material (the material the inlay is going into) I like doing this step first because it gives me practice for the inlay shape I'll be cutting in the next step.
4.) Cut the inlay.
5.) Sand to fit and finish.

I'll spell out these steps in greater detail and provide links to some YouTube videos I created after I'm off probation!!! :)

In the mean time if you've never built an inlay before I would recommend a heart shaped inlay. This inlay has all the cuts you will ever need to make. Straight sides, rounder corners, sharp corners, and a point. Once you're comfortable with making those cuts you can make any inlay!!!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Kurtis: I really look forward to your input. I've never had the courage to try inlays and have wanted to do so with my wood turning projects.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,956 Posts
Kurtis
I found your web site ezinlay.com and order couple sets to review them started with hearts and rosebud set, let see if I can do I as good as you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts