Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. My name is Dave. I've been woodworking as a hobby for over 25 years now. Actually designed and built most of the furniture and custom cabinetry in our home. Still consider myself a novice, but most people that know me and have seen my work would say I'm probably being a bit humble.

The part of woodworking I enjoy the most is seeing something I visualized in my mind come to life. That's the rush. All the cutting, milling, sanding, and finishing is generally just work once you have established a quality level that you are comfortable with.

Anyways I found this forum today while looking for some help.

Awhile back, I disassembled my freud rail and style bits to use the bits with out the slot cutters installed. I should have reassembled them immediately after use to get the shims in the correct sequence, but did not. I reassembled them today and have the bit portions configured properly, but the the shims are not.

Does anyone have or know a quick method to re-establish the correct shimming?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Stick. Unfortunately, the version I have is older and not adjustable (It only has one fixed 1/4" slot cutter, not two adjustable thinner ones).

Interesting; it does share the same model number (99-760) though.

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dave.

Sorry to hear of your predicament.

How old is the set? If the same model number has been used for some time, a picture of yours may help.

You can add a picture to a post without 10 posts if you "Go Advanced" and "Manage Attachments". The picture has to be on your system (HD) and not on a file sharing service such as Photobucket. You cannot post a URL.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Hi Dave. If none of the forum members know the answer to your question I will check with Freud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
photos added to original post. That was clever way around the posting requirements.

Thanks for the help James and Mike.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,959 Posts
Dave
Could you not install them in the table run a cope and style put them together and then adjust for the mistach . Just add or remove a shim till they match, just an idea

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Dave
Could you not install them in the table run a cope and style put them together and then adjust for the mistach . Just add or remove a shim till they match, just an idea

On reflection, that would be my answer also.

The shims are for that very purpose. To be added or subtracted to get the required fit. There is no "set way" to use the shims.

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
photos added to original post. That was clever way around the posting requirements.

Thanks for the help James and Mike.
No problem, Dave.

A lot of new members get confused by the 10 post limit.

It is there to prevent spammers posting links to sites which could be harmful or contain advertising.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
played around with the shims today. Through some trial and error, I was able to get a successful fit. Wasn't quite as difficult as I anticipated. Thanks for the recommendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts