Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new member to the forum. I came across the forum as I was on the internet looking for information about a problem I am having with a Bosch 1617 EVS router. My hobby is making electric guitars, and I use the router for cutting body shapes and cavities and pickguard routing.

I have had the router about 4 years. Last year it started working intermittently and then shortly thereafter stopped working altogether. I did some trouble shooting and replaced the speed control assembly. It worked fine for a short while, and then started working intermittently again, and has not stopped working altogether. I don' think I had more than a couple of hours on the new speed control assembly.

The on off switch and power wire and plug all check out with a continuity tester.

Could it be another bad speed control assembly?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello Peter, Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the trouble, but it is possible. If you just bought the part, and installed it, I would hope that it would be replaced. No.1 Are you sure that the wires never crossed? my first thought is that it would cause problems. No 2 Are you sure that the power is going into the switch, and not coming out of the other end? I have seen wires that broke under the insulation and could not be seen. It is possible that a new switch gets out of production and has a problem. Those are where i would start. I hope that you can find a cause. And good luck. There will be much more talented people along with other ideas. in the meantime, enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding and thanks for the welcome!!

I have had the new speed control part for 7 or 8 months now, but probably only have an hour or two of use on it if that. I checked the power wire for continuity from the plug to the motor terminals and checked the switch function as well, and all seems to check out. I use the router infrequently, so this is frustrating to say the least.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am happy to report that based on several other postings that I was able view on the forum in which people reported switches getting clogged with saw dust, I decide to take the switch apart- sure enough it was filled with saw dust. I cleaned it out, and the router is working again- THANKS TO THIS FORUM!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Glad yo hear that. It was the next thing to look at. Enjoy the forum, and there are many Neat things to check out. Looking forward to hearing more ideas and projects from you! Thanks for filling out your profile.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Peter and welcome to the forum, glad you got the problem fixes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts