Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Dennis and reside in Akron, Ohio. Just recently found the value of a router in my woodworking projects..actually I have had a cheap router for a lot of years and used mainly for rounding over edges, nothing more..well times are a changing...I have a router table already, and got for Xmas a Ryobi plunge router, debating whether to return and purchase the M12v, about 80.00 more, but maybe a better router...any opinions?...

I would like to use the router in a table for template work and also be able to still use it freehand, and don't want to have 2 routers, would be easy, but limited budget & space prevent that...

If maybe the better solution is to upgrade to the M12v, can someone point me to a place with a good price....I have tried the Woodcraft & Rockler store local to me, and they do not carry the plunge router....just a fixed base...can't figure out why!

thanks for any input...Dennis

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
dtaylor15 said:
Hello, my name is Dennis and reside in Akron, Ohio. Just recently found the value of a router in my woodworking projects..actually I have had a cheap router for a lot of years and used mainly for rounding over edges, nothing more..well times are a changing...I have a router table already, and got for Xmas a Ryobi plunge router, debating whether to return and purchase the M12v, about 80.00 more, but maybe a better router...any opinions?...

I would like to use the router in a table for template work and also be able to still use it freehand, and don't want to have 2 routers, would be easy, but limited budget & space prevent that...

If maybe the better solution is to upgrade to the M12v, can someone point me to a place with a good price....I have tried the Woodcraft & Rockler store local to me, and they do not carry the plunge router....just a fixed base...can't figure out why!

thanks for any input...Dennis

Hello Dennis, Welcome to the Router Forums :)

If you have a Lowe's near you or Check out Amazon.com they should have the MV12. I cannot speak about it because I own the Bosch. I hear it is a good router.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do not own a m12v but have read a lot of good things about it and it seams to be well known in the woodworking forums that I have been to. As far as ryobi I own a couple of their products and am not overly impressed. I would go for the m12v to be safe. I also own two routers and expect to buy another one(for trim) so don't worry about having more than one if you can.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I concur with those above. Go to Lowe's, HD and check prices then order it from Amazon. Be careful, Amazon will play with their pricing. I was waiting until after Christmas to order my M12V. It was 156.99 for weeks. In January it popped up to 196.99. I held off and caught it when it dropped back to 156.99.

The saqme thing happened last week with the PC 893PK. It was priced at 202.99 for about 8-9 days. I couldn't get it then becasue I dropped a pretty penny on M12V and Table Top from OPEL. When I was ready to get the PC 893PK guess what, back up to 249.00. I'm just saving my money and if / when it drops again, I'm on it.

I use my M12V for table top only. Unlike you I do want two routers. One permenately mounted on the table and one for hand routing. I purchased the M12V knowing that for now I would not be using it a whole lot. As a teacher and full time student my time is very limited until I I finish my thesis in about two years.

During the very brief time I have used it I am very pleased with it. It's very smoth and easy to work with. Too bulky for detail work but real comfortable rounding over and working with large pieces that can't fit on the table easily. The reviews in Amazon concerned me a bit, but I ordered an extra set of brushes just in case. I am hoping that wiht light to moderate use I can easly get a few years of service from it with the proper maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.