Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, names J, very occasional (and rudimentary at best) woodworker here in PA, generally when search for answers to related questions I have this forum has been top of the searches, and the one I find most helpful, searched this afternoon for info on my new to me router I picked up today, Freud FT2000E, and when I got it it was in pieces, in a box, so I sorted all the parts, and had the springs back in in no time thanks to this forum, figured I’d join while I was here:)

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jay , glad to have you here . We’re a very friendly place , so don’t be afraid to share pics of your projects . :)

Just a heads up , but it’s always nice to know a person by their first name . You can update your profile and put it where it says first name .
A location is handy to, especially if you have questions regarding availability of parts or tools etc

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum Jay

Reactions: jayJ1911

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello N/A and welcome to the forums...
We're happy you found us...

About that inquisitiveness of yours... We are all over that, we can help, we can, w/ have some ''light reading'' for you...
Gathered together is a bunch of pertinent/relative information in this here link ... You should find everything (at least most) quite useful, a lot of help and get you off to a running start in the world of routers... Enjoy...

Do take some time and read the safety PDF's... PLEASE!!!
Blood and trips to the ER, we find, are very annoying... Not to mention – expensive...

We do welcome all questions on about any subject you can come up w/ too....
Not only that, we excel at spending your money...

·
Administrator
David
3,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jay! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel. Add your location to your profile, as well.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing?

David

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi J and welcome. Treat the collet on that router like it's made of gold. We've had a number of people through looking for them and they are no longer available. It wouldn't hurt to start looking for a 1/2" as a spare. It may have been more fragile than the 1/4" one was. I was going to give the one on my dead 2000E to one of the searchers but when I took it out I found it had a cracked segment and that was apparently a weakness in them.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,031 Posts
Welcome to the forum J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi J and welcome. Treat the collet on that router like it's made of gold. We've had a number of people through looking for them and they are no longer available. It wouldn't hurt to start looking for a 1/2" as a spare. It may have been more fragile than the 1/4" one was. I was going to give the one on my dead 2000E to one of the searchers but when I took it out I found it had a cracked segment and that was apparently a weakness in them.
Good to know, thank you, I got mine second hand at a local consignment shop, it was literally in pieces, thankfully well taken care of , and I’m fairly certain it had lived in the previous owners router table , as springs were removed, as were handles, chip guard, brass sleeves for spring, there was an old broken OEM switch in there, with a new one installed, as well as a guide that looks brand new, and unfortunately only the 1/2 collet, was looking into an aftermarket 1/4 or extension last night , I’ve read good reviews on the brand Whiteside, but finding an original would be preferred. The speed knob was also pushed into the motor(probably dropped, so took the housing off and fixed that as well) got it all back together in its intended configuration, and hoping someday to possibly mount it to a legacy ornamental mill i just picked up, if I can ever figure out how it works, and get it up and running:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum, Jay! Add your first name to your profile to clear the N/a in the side panel. Add your location to your profile, as well.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing?

David
My shop, quote unquote, looks like a rabid Tasmanian devil has taken up residence in it for the past several years, mainly due to me being a stay at home dad for the past 3 years , but with all this newfound stay at home free time we have I’m finally getting around to hopefully organize and set up a little better, most of my projects are ones based on a need for something, where time is of an essence, as is materials, and presentation and curb appeal take a back seat, (sometimes they don’t even get in the car, lol) as in my knock together chicken coop I just constructed out of salvaged EVERYTHING, but it’s functional, even though it’s not pretty. Also slapped together a solid, if not a little warped framed, poolside “deck /shed “ for somewhere to sit when I take the kids swimming. I’ll take and upload pics of the work area as I improve it though. I’d like one day to get to a point where I can make one or two thing well enough that I could sell some items, but that’s more of a idle daydream at this point. I’m thinking base model desk with some custom modifications for my wife perhaps, she’s always worked from home, and her desk is less than ideal to hold all her computers and stuff she uses throughout the day, that’s probably going to be my winter project this year

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jay. Having goals and ideas is what spurs us on the way. The desk sounds like a great project and the design aspect with your wife's input will likely gain you a few extra points. And if you're anything like me extra points are always needed.

·
Registered
Mike
3,839 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Jay.

·
Premium Member
20,449 Posts
Welcome. Good idea to make stuff for your wife, I make picture frames for my wife's paintings. She even popped for a couple of specialty tools for frame making. Sounds like you're not afraid to jump right in.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good to know, thank you, I got mine second hand at a local consignment shop, it was literally in pieces, thankfully well taken care of , and I’m fairly certain it had lived in the previous owners router table , as springs were removed, as were handles, chip guard, brass sleeves for spring, there was an old broken OEM switch in there, with a new one installed, as well as a guide that looks brand new, and unfortunately only the 1/2 collet, was looking into an aftermarket 1/4 or extension last night , I’ve read good reviews on the brand Whiteside, but finding an original would be preferred. The speed knob was also pushed into the motor(probably dropped, so took the housing off and fixed that as well) got it all back together in its intended configuration, and hoping someday to possibly mount it to a legacy ornamental mill i just picked up, if I can ever figure out how it works, and get it up and running:)
You can use a collet reducing bushing in it for 1/4" bits. My Hitachi M12V came with a reducer and only 1/2" collets were ever made for it. As you mentioned speed control that was something else we've seen people looking for. If I remember correctly it isn't a solid state type. It is a carbon disc instead and some of them cracked the disc. I think it's something that could be bypassed and replaced with an external speed control. I wouldn't run an extension on any router unless absolutely necessary. They put a lot of torque on the bearings.

You might be able to find some info on this site about the legacy mill. Use our community search function to look for it. Try legacy mill and if that doesn't work just try legacy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m in NW PA and you and I share similar wood working habits. Make that desk for your wife and your tool fund will get a boost!
This summer alone she’s surprised me with a new Rigid 18gauge air stapler, and I just found out she got me a new Dewalt 996 for an early birthday present🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can use a collet reducing bushing in it for 1/4" bits. My Hitachi M12V came with a reducer and only 1/2" collets were ever made for it. As you mentioned speed control that was something else we've seen people looking for. If I remember correctly it isn't a solid state type. It is a carbon disc instead and some of them cracked the disc. I think it's something that could be bypassed and replaced with an external speed control. I wouldn't run an extension on any router unless absolutely necessary. They put a lot of torque on the bearings.

You might be able to find some info on this site about the legacy mill. Use our community search function to look for it. Try legacy mill and if that doesn't work just try legacy.
The speed control itself functions mechanically fine, the yellow knob/disc that you turn however was jammed up inside the housing and unreachable, has a peg that goes up inside the mechanical part, all I had to do was pop it back in, and yeah, i don’t think I’ll ever use the extension, but it’s something I’d like to have on hand, I tend to get stuff a lot of times just in case, nothing worse than having to stop what your doing to run out and grab an item you coulda had sitting in a drawer already:) I’ll definitely be getting a 1/4 inch reducer collet too, for pretty much the same reasons. And yep, the legacy mill searches keep bringing me here, lol, found a lot of good info, but very little on the model 500 I have. It also came with several extras different pitched gears , I may just take some detailed pics and ask the experts here what exactly I have, what it needs, and how to go about using it👍

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome, Jay...it certainly sounds like you have your "stuff" together...you will enjoy it here...

...and best success with your new toys...!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts