1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone.
New to the forum.
Hoping someone can help.
I have a Porter Cable 513 lock morticer that is off center.
That is to say it dose not cut the hole in the center of the door.
On an 1-3/4 exterior door with a 1” bit for Baldwin mortise locks, I should have 3/8” on each side of the cut.
I’m getting 5/16” on the exterior edge and 7/16” on the interior edge.
The only thing more useless than the instruction manual is trying to get in touch with Porter Cable.
Thank for any help.
JB

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello welcome to the router forum
Sorry I am not Familiar with the product I am sure one of the members will be able to help you

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Hi, welcome. This is a very expensive item meant for those doing hundreds of doors. If you bought it new, and recently I'd insist on a refund or replacement. I found a few videos on youtube on its use, but the self centering feature is an important reason for using this jig.

My first thought is that it's 1/16th off, so is there anything on the pads that hold the door? Some glue, pitch, paint? Wouldn't take much to throw it off that much. Does it cut off center every time, or is it something new that's happening? Self centering mechanisms generally include a track of some sort and a mechanism to open or close both sides equally at the same time. Could one of the cams have slipped over one tooth? Do you have the instruction manual?

I don't have one of these, do all my doors manually by using a center finder and a brad point bit. Here is a video of a guy using one.

Here's the ereplacement parts exploded view drawing of the 315.

Below is the instruction manual in pdf form. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum...
I am a remodeling contractor.
I’ve had the machine for years, and yes it is expensive.
I install mortice locks 2-3 times a month.
The problem started recently. You gave me some things to look at.
I’ll bring the machine into the office and put it on a clean towel and give it further inspection undef good light.
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.