Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

my name is Chau and I’m from Sydney, Australia. I’ve just caught the woodworking bug and trying to make some furniture using handheld tools - namely a plunge router and a circular saw.

I currently own a Milwaukee M12 140mm (5 and 3/8”) circular saw, a Kreg Accu-cut, well as an AEG MF 1400KE 1400 watt plunge router (MF 1400KE).

I don’t have a table or plan to get one in the future due to space constraints. All of my work is done in a frienddrive way on top of some heavy duty saw horses and an mdf top

My first project is to copy this Australia furniture maker - making a small side table using plywood. Here is a link:

Look forward to learning from everyone!

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
G'day @Chau , welcome to the router forum.

You will find many knowledgable members here.

I am also from Sydney (South West)....

I would suggest that you join a local Men's Shed where you will lots of help from the members and also, maybe, some space to work on your project.

They may have some tools that you need to work on your project.

Which area of Sydney is home?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi folks,

my name is Chau and I’m from Sydney, Australia. I’ve just caught the woodworking bug and trying to make some furniture using handheld tools - namely a plunge router and a circular saw.

I currently own a Milwaukee M12 140mm (5 and 3/8”) circular saw, a Kreg Accu-cut, well as an AEG MF 1400KE 1400 watt plunge router (MF 1400KE).

I don’t have a table or plan to get one in the future due to space constraints. All of my work is done in a frienddrive way on top of some heavy duty saw horses and an mdf top

My first project is to copy this Australia furniture maker - making a small side table using plywood. Here is a link:

Hi folks,

Yes Welcome Chau,

Great to hear from another from across the pond.
I agree with James, join a club that can help get you going.
I also have a friend in Australia that is from Victoria off the Legacy Forum.
As John said cant wait to see your first projects.
WoodWork is an awesome passion to have.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Welcome, the side table will be a simple project to start with but doing it out of Baltic birch will be quite expensive. However since the edges are exposed it would be necessary, I would suggest using regular birch plywood(or simply sanded plywood if it's going to be painted) and covering the edges with a thin strip of wood. By doing so you could also eliminate having to do a 45 degree miter. I would also consider buying a pocket hole jig. It would make the job a breeze, would eliminate the need to surface nail, and would make it stronger so you could eliminate the OSB. As far as the router table, you don't need a free-standing table taking up space all you need is a top. I would argue that without a table you're not going to be happy with the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.