Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier thread, I mentioned making patterns using digital sculpting techniques. I finished digitally sculpting this model this morning and ported the STL to a cnc pattern.

The model was digitally sculpted from a subdivided cube. Pretty happy with it and I see small improvements in my sculpting skills. I am still only very okay at sculpting. Different skill sets with all the different modeling techniques. Each with their own different challenges and learning curve.

Model going into by library and potentially used for some graphics or digital art pieces. No plan to carve at this time.

Digitally sculpting is a great way to make organic models.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe, it is Blender 2.81.

Blender also has several add-ons to expand CAD-like user interface functionality. I haven't used them so can't say much to them.

There is also Blender CAM (2009 last update I think) which can generate g-code files, but at this point there are a whole lot of better choices (my opinion).

Phil, thanks. I still have a long ways to go to where I want to be.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David, the user interface is a little overwhelming with all the options.

The software is a suite of programs. It does polygonal modeling, sculpting modeling, 2d drawing, animation, sound mixer, video sequencer, and graphics compositor. I comes with multiple render engines natively and can use several external different ones.

So 95% of the program is not needed for cnc pattern creation but the polygonal modeling is very good. That one portion is probably on par with most commercial programs of its type.

It took me several concerted efforts to finally make a break through and start using the software. For a free program it is pretty amazing.

For example, I applied some materials (color) and texture and set up virtual lighting to the model and rendered an illustration of the old man model with the software.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
David, check out Blender Guru on youtube. I hate the talking head style and he's pretty annoying to boot but his 3 tutorials are a pretty good jump start. It's not the fast paced, "Sgt Joe Friday" style of F360 tutorials though - more like a boy band millennial version of Vectric tutorials.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phil, that was funny. I follow Blender Guru (Andrew Price) as well and his tutorials really helped me when I was starting.

One of the problems to stay current with the software is blender is evolving quickly. The last update version 2.8 really changed the user interface and a lot of the capabilities but made it closer to industry standards and quality levels.

Now for the folks that want to scare small children and animals (depth map below).

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Great job on the faces. I have a hard time finding time to play with blender but the time I have had to play was a lot of fun.

That second face has a Freddy Krueger look to it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.