Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If I have something I need all the time, I buy Delta, Craftsman, Dewalt.... I just needed a plunge router to do something right now. Got the Chi Elec 2.5.... The plunge will not retract. Fiddled with the plunge lock until cows came home... Any trick? Harbor Freight had no one in the store who has ever even used a router, much less this one.

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @Leap91 ,

That response is getting more evident in some of the big box stores, particularly in Australia.

Do you have a picture or model number of the router?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
When you say. "The plunge will not retract. ", do you ,mean it will not plunge or has plunged and will not come back up?

You didn't wind down that black knob (fine adjuster?) while it was plunged? That will lock it in place and not allow it to come back up...

Can you post a photo of the front and back of your router?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say. "The plunge will not retract. ", do you ,mean it will not plunge or has plunged and will not come back up?

You didn't wind down that black knob (fine adjuster?) while it was plunged? That will lock it in place and not allow it to come back up...

Can you post a photo of the front and back of your router?
It comes out of the box fully plunged and will not go back up. I have 2 x 12 hour shifts at 911 today and tomorrow... will post on Weds.

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
See page 8 of the manual....The upper limit knob has to be loosened to allow it to come back up.....
Rectangle Font Art Logo Circle

Reactions: TenGees and mgmine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

If I have something I need all the time, I buy Delta, Craftsman, Dewalt.... I just needed a plunge router to do something right now. Got the Chi Elec 2.5.... The plunge will not retract. Fiddled with the plunge lock until cows came home... Any trick? Harbor Freight had no one in the store who has ever even used a router, much less this one.
Was the box sealed when you bought it? If not, a previous purchaser could have removed the spring and not reinstalled it before returning it. Nowadays, it seems a lot of scallawags are buying a tool, using it, then returning it with some complaint, amounting to free rent. When they do, they encounter clerks like the one you described. If it was sealed, stand on the base, release the lock, and pull the motor up. If it's stuck, either the plunge lock or post misalignment is the problem. I have the 3-1/2HP model collecting dust.

·
Official Greeter
19,759 Posts
Yes, it would be nice to hear how the OP (@Leap91 ) got on.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts