Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , looking to buy a new router and jig for kitchen worktops can anyone point my in the right direction of a good combination !? Was looking at the festool 2200 but is it too pricey?

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Davie.

Something like the Trend T11 or Triton TRA001 should work.

I would also look at Makita, Hitachi.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,916 Posts
Hi Davie, really pleased to see you join the community, welcome to Router Forums!

·
Registered
786 Posts
welcome aboard...

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum Davie.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Hi Davie. If you are working with solid surface material dust collection is critical. Consider the cost of the OF2200EB versus say a PC 7518 with a good dust collection base like the Betterley Stack-Vac and you will not see nearly as big a difference in price. There are health benefits even when working with other man made materials like plywood, particle board or natural woods. It really depends on how much you will be using your router to decide if the Festool is worth the price. The selection of routers and prices where you live is vastly different than here in the US. If you will be using your router all the time then the Festool may be worth the cost for you; overall it is the finest router I have worked with. Even so I use my Bosch routers the most. You may want to consider the Bosch GOF1600.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there davie I would go for the Makita 3612c this is what I use in a worktop jig and the fact that it has a braked motor means you dont have long for the tool to stop spinning before removing it from the jig

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Nice thought Mark but the 3612C was discontinued last year. The current offering is the RP2301FC.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,942 Posts
Yes Mark it does have electric braking and mine replaces the 3612C that has been my main router for close to fourteen years and is now permanently mounted on skis. This router has the most suburb plunge that I have ever come across in my forty years of routing. It really is an excellent router and would last you a lifetime.
In order to turn this excellent router into a perfect one I made two modifications, firstly, because I do a great deal of plunge routing, the standard three step depth turret is insufficient for my needs so I made a multistage one. Secondly, even though it has two built-in LED lights, they are inadequate for these elderly eyes so i fitted a very bright torch which give a perfect view of the bit.
I almost forgot to mention that I have of course replaced the original chuck with a MUSCLECHUCK as I have on all but one of my routers and that one, an early version of the Triton TRA001 should have one in the very near future because it's on it's way from the USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi lads thanks for all the replies. Purchased the trend 900 tradesman jig but still not decided on which router!! Dust extraction is important so now been looking at the festool 1400 as the reviews for dust extraction are excellent. Been using a friends dewalt but dust extr isn't great. Basically I will be using the router for cutting Worktops will the festool be up to the job?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts