Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted on here. But I thought I would show my latest creation. It is long past due. I have been using a real crude router table I threw together a few years ago. As in many of my projects I wait for the parts to come together to start building.
The top on this is 1.25” thick clear lexan bullet resistant glass. It was salvaged from a convenience store that was torn down. The piece I used was too scratched up to use for much anything else and I am sure it will get scratched more but the surface is hard flat and smooth. The frame is laminated plywood half lapped and glued together on the joints.
I made many parts for the machine from HDPC plastic. I buy it from a local manufacture as scrap they cant use. This is great stuff for building machines, it cuts and machines very well.
In playing with building machines the last few years I found that wood on wood slides are not practical if you want accuracy and durability. Humidity can make it tight one day and loose days later. I have also used bushings on rods but I find that although they are smooth the clearance needed for them to slide can translate into looseness at the router bit.
So what I developed was, I used 6 roller bearings running in a grove under pressure, 3 on each side. This works very well. It is smooth and there is no play what so ever at the bit. It is driven by threaded rod with bevel gears I got from etrailer.com.
The plunge is foot operated and is a separate mechanism than the router lift crank itself. I can set the height with the lift then lower the unit as far as needed and when you step on the pedal it stops at that height. The Fence is tall because at times I need support for wide panels.

If you want to view a video things are explained in more detail.

Router table with lift and plunge feature - YouTube

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Mark that's dam impressive right there! I was wondering how the heck you aquired 1.25 thick lexan till I read on ,as that stuff is worth its weight in gold .
If anyone tries to shoot you with anything less than a 50 cal , your safe hiding under your router table lol

See if it were me I'd install a strip of LED lights on the back of the lexan so it would hi light all the edges :D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice looking table, and great job of repurposing!! At some point i'm going to assemble a front crank for my drill press (recent issue of Shop Notes for the inspiration) but when i went looking for a set of miter gears--i held out. Within the last two weeks i sent a Craftsman radial arm saw motor in for the $100 bounty--and when i dismantled the table i found a perfect set of gears, 1/2" with a flat side. But--the prices at the place you quoted are excellent, all i was finding would have been north of $50 the pair.

earl

·
Registered
322 Posts
Outstanding design , Mark . I like the look of it very much .

Rog

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick,
I might have to try the lights. I like the idea!
I got lucky on the Lexan. I went to a guys storage unit to buy something he was selling on craigslist. In talking to him he was trying to sell everything in there because his lease was running out. He showed me the lexan told me the story on how he got it and asked if I wanted it, he said he would give it to me for $100. there were 5 pieces. Three of them were 4x4 pieces and 2 were 2x4 pieces. I said would love to have it and checked my wallet and only had $10. in it. I said well I can go to an atm and get the rest, he paused for a moment and said I dont have time and said give me the $10 and get them out of here. That was my lucky day!

Earl,
I looked for the longest time for bevel gears myself. I have used these a few times you cant beat the price.

Paul,
Don't worry I have a polish rag to clean it.

Roger and Allen,
Thanks for the compliments I am pleased with the results of the build.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,227 Posts
At some point i'm going to assemble a front crank for my drill press (recent issue of Shop Notes for the inspiration) but when i went looking for a set of miter gears--i held out.

earl
Can you tell me which issue of ShopNotes, Earl? I have a subscription but must have missed the article. It sounds like something I can use.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Rick,
I might have to try the lights. I like the idea!
I got lucky on the Lexan. I went to a guys storage unit to buy something he was selling on craigslist. In talking to him he was trying to sell everything in there because his lease was running out. He showed me the lexan told me the story on how he got it and asked if I wanted it, he said he would give it to me for $100. there were 5 pieces. Three of them were 4x4 pieces and 2 were 2x4 pieces. I said would love to have it and checked my wallet and only had $10. in it. I said well I can go to an atm and get the rest, he paused for a moment and said I dont have time and said give me the $10 and get them out of here. That was my lucky day!
Well I'd say you did well as a 4' by 8' sheet of 1/2" lexan is over a thousand bucks where I live.
That just cracks me up that you got it for 10 bucks lol

Mark this a picture of part of my gym . I put led stick on strips internally and it lights up the edges of the 1/2" lexan . Makes for a neat effect and the LED strips are dirt cheap on Amazon . I was sort of joking when I mentioned it , but it would make for a very cool effect IMO on your router table as all the holes will be hi lighted in the color you use .

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Can you tell me which issue of ShopNotes, Earl? I have a subscription but must have missed the article. It sounds like something I can use.
Oliver--it took a few minutes, #135 so it would have been about spring this year if that helps. The one with a Drill Press on the cover. Mine was in the growing stack of magazines with ideas i want to adapt--i'm soon going to have to adapt a bigger place to store those. Or start a list of ideas and magazine numbers--the rest of the mags are well organized!!

earl

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,227 Posts
Oliver--it took a few minutes, #135 so it would have been about spring this year if that helps. The one with a Drill Press on the cover. Mine was in the growing stack of magazines with ideas i want to adapt--i'm soon going to have to adapt a bigger place to store those. Or start a list of ideas and magazine numbers--the rest of the mags are well organized!!

earl
Found it! Thanks, Earl.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts