Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new router today.It's the Hitachi KM 12SC combo kit.I've never owned a plunge router before so I've got some learning to do.For my old PC 9690 I had two fixed bases so one could stay mounted to the plate in my table.My question is,which new base (fixed or plunge) should I attatch to the table.Up to this point it seems about 90% of my routing is done on the table.Thanks for any input. Rusty

·
Banned
666 Posts
18243015 said:
I got a new router today.It's the Hitachi KM 12SC combo kit.I've never owned a plunge router before so I've got some learning to do.For my old PC 9690 I had two fixed bases so one could stay mounted to the plate in my table.My question is,which new base (fixed or plunge) should I attatch to the table.Up to this point it seems about 90% of my routing is done on the table.Thanks for any input. Rusty
Hi Rusty

Congratulations on your new purchase If it is the one I am thinking about you will have two choices. Put it in the table or Leave it as a plunge router. I know there are many router users would recommend the table. Personally i would use the plunge mode and suggest you learn new techniques on the use of the router you will be surprised on the value of the template guide supplied with the router.

Tom

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tom. I ended up putting the fixed base in the table as there looked like there was'nt enough room for the plunge base. Plus I am very anxious to learn all the ins and outs of the plunge router and find uses for all the guides. The only template guide I've ever used is the one that came with my PC dovetail jig.

Rusty

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
18243015 said:
Hope you enjoy your router combo! I have a couple of cousins of your router and I got a spare fixed base off ebay to leave on the table and that way I can keep the case filled to take along to projects. I liked the router so much I got a couple more san the combo (just fixed base) and how have two tables with fixed bases mounted and they work great that way (one table is the oak-park type the other is a shopsmith which has a smaller mounting plate so I had to take off the handles to let it pop out like the oak-park ones).

You will indeed find uses for the plunge base, they are great to have!

Ed

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
You made the right choice by mounting the fixed base in your table.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after 13 days of temps between 105 and 115 degrees here in northern california I finally got in the garage to use my plunge router today (only reached a pleasant 96 degrees today). I made a quickie shelf pin jig out of 1/2" plywood. With my drill press I bored 1/2" holes in the jig. Then with a 1/2" guide bushing and a 3/16" bit I was able to plunge the holes to a preset depth. Dont know how I ever survived without it.

Rusty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.