Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right...
Any way, I just ordered the new Triton 2 1/4 HP Plunge Router for $209.99 from WoodCraft and I was just wondering about any pros or cons on this router. I did some research on the net and in the stores on all kinds of routers and this seemed like one of the better deals for the money. Was I right?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi George. If it's the same model as mine - the TRA001 - you've got a good machine in my humble (and not so experienced) opinion. I like the built-in lift feature that allows the collet to be raised above the table for bit changing although you can get an above table lifter if you need it. You got it for a good price too. Here in NZ mine cost me the equivalent of US$360.00. It's a powerful machine and does everything I've asked of it so far. Lots of other good features too such as the safety lock to prevent collet raising unless switch is 'off' and self-locking collet for bit changing. All together a good piece of equipment. Enjoy. :cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have a 3 1/4 hp Triton and it's a bit heavy but one humdinger of a machine.
I got it at Busy Bee tools Toronto for $299. on sale.
It makes good company in my table with my DeWalt 621

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comeback Geordie,
I ordered the model MOF001 which comes with an extended base, fence, circle cutter and a set of 6 bushes. I believe it has all the features as your TRA001 as well. I read somewhere about a base attachment to accept bushes for the PC. Do you know anthing about that or are they compatable straight off?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sorry George, the PC is an unknown beast down here at the bottom of the world so I can't comment on compatability. Hopefully one of the other (local) guys can answer that one. :confused:

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
The TRA001 is a 3-1/4 HP machine, the TRA001A is a 2-1/4 HP machine. This makes for a big difference in price.
George, you bought a quality router and should be very happy with it. There is no "one size fits all" in the world of routers. Most major name brands perform well, and they all feel different in your hands.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
CV, the Hitachi M12V and the PC 7518 are also 3-1/4 HP routers, at least this is how they are rated. This size is best used table mounted as they are tough to hang on to.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received the new router and she is a beaut. It has 7 bushings, an adjustment rod for thru the table adjustments, a base extension, circle cutter, fence and a 1/2 inch straight bit.
I am now in the planning stages of building a router table for it. I already had a good base built and bought a Rousseau base plate so now all I have to do is figure out what I want the top to have on it and what the fence should look like. Does anyone have a good fence plan or know of a link to one?

·
Registered
880 Posts
George, sounds like you got a good deal with all those bushings included. I know the guys will help you with a table plan but there's one feature of the Triton table I bought with the router that I really like and would be easy to build-in to a home made table. The MDF faces on the fence are spring loaded so, not only do they slide laterally to open/close the gap around the bit, you can also insert shims between the face and the fence to push the outfeed face proud of the infeed when you use the router as a jointer like I often do. (Hope I'm not breaching any copyright!).

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Geordie, Thanks for the idea. I don't have a jointer and use my bench top router table for jointing now. The problem is it is a cheepie and not too accurate. Maybe I can include your suggestion into the new table.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
George, there are many postings on fences. Look through them and you will find one you like. Did you purchase the template for installing your Rousseau plate? Or the installation kit for centering your router on the plate? Both are great time savers.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did get the centering kit but not the template. I figured to use the four boards around the plate method to plunge route it out with a bushing and an up cut spiral bit... that is unless somebody knows of a beter (read easier) way without having to buy the template. Us cheapskates are always looking for a cheaper/easier way. :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks BJ,
That looks like just what I needed. Thanks to all of you for your help and intrest in my little project. If it turns out half decent I will post pics.

Mike, it turns out that I bought the wrong centering kit for my router so I will have to take it back for the right one. Just in case anyone is looking to buy one be sure you are getting the right one for your router.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
I realize it seems like a lot of money for the template, but when you consider that it comes with the neat 2 part guide bushing it seems more reasonable. Since most plates use the same size support ledge this bushing will be used more than once, nobody can build just one... :) You may wish to build one of the portable tables and installing window glass can be done with this unique bushing as well.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike,
I broke down and bought the template today when I took the centering kit back and, wouldn't you know it, they were out of the kit I needed so I will have to go back and pick it up when it comes in. Seems like there is always something.... :-(

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
George, time for a secret. A visit to your local hardware store will provide the needed screws to allow any kit to work with your router for under $2. This means after you mount your router and a friend asks you to do his you need only purchase the additional set screws and mounting screws. I have long sung the praises of how quick and easy the template kit gets you installed and routing. I am looking forward to feedback from you on this.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tip Mike. Will do on the feedback. My only problem now is getting my shop (garage) warm enough to work with the contact cement and laminates. The directions say 65 or above for at least 24 hrs prior to use.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Mike, here's some pics of the table. The table top is 24"X46"X1 1/4" MDF laminated on top and bottom. I will put a hardwood trim around the edge of the top. The extra space to the right of the router will be used as extra work space for freehand routing or drill press. The cabinet is pine with birch ply panel sides. I used pocket screws to put it together.
Attach. 1 shows the template set and the hole routed and you were right the template made it sooo much easier.
Attach. 2 is with the router mounted... again you were right on with the centering kit. It made drilling the base plate a simple procedure.
Attach. 3 is the finished base plate. Now all I have to do is finish the base cabinet and trim. I still haven't decided on a fence yet.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.