Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Don, and I turned 51 last year. I did a lot of woodworking as a kid, and got away from it for a long time. I've decided to start out with lower cost equipment, for financial as well as fact finding reasons. A guy told me once concerning a cheap guitar I got at a pawn shop, "If you can make a bad guitar sound good, imagine what you could do with a good one." As I go long, and depending on how serious I get, I will upgrade to better tools. I wasn't serious enough to need a good guitar. Lol

My first question is concerning a fixed base/plunge base combo. I have a small router table, with a fixed base router(single speed) mounted on it. I want to get a second router for hand held work. Do I simply need a plunge router, or will there be a time that I will wish I also had a fixed base for hand held routing? I'm looking at the Craftsman model 17543 at $120. It is is a fixed/plunge base combo, 2 horsepower, and runs from 12000-15000 rpm.

Thanks
Don :moil:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Another vote for buying a combo kit with both fixed and plunge bases. Variable speed also adds flexibility. Also, you might want to make sure the model you get accepts PC-style guide bushings, unless you like fiddling with adapters.

·
Official Greeter
20,251 Posts
G'day Don

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.