Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
made a new sign today... start to finish (no poly, its an inside sign). You guys always ask about different parts of my sign making process so i thought I'd show it to you from start to finish. This is a sign for a friend of mine that he is giving as a gift. he gave me the info on what the sign should read, and I offered him a few layouts and eventully narrowed it down to these two (first pic) and he chose the bottome one. next pic is a shot of the stencil i used as my template. I did all of the initial cuts with a 3/8" V groove and because if the short amount of time i chose to use a corebox bit of the same size to clean up the inside of the letters. after that I cut the sign out using my 14" PC bandsaw and sanded the edges with the stencil still on as my guide. after all the cutting and sanding I used white painter touch spray paint (3rd pic). once dried I removed the stencil (pic 4) and hand painted the background with Hyatts brand acrylic, and touched up any of the lettering with a Q Tip. Now its up to dry overnight and be handed off tomorrow (last pic is the finished product).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Dan- Really nice sign! Thanks for sharing the process. I have been contemplating making a few signs for family members for Christmas and your photos have provided some additional motivation. Could you share a little more information on how you make the template? Everything else seems pretty straightforward but using a template really makes so much sense.

Thanks again!

John

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a graphic design program to make all of my signs. Once I get the layout I have it cut out of vinyl

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Dan.

That gets the "grey matter" stirring.

·
Registered
Paul
1,919 Posts
Nice job Dan. I remember when I first got a router, I tried to "write" my name freehand into a plank. Since then I've never thought of trying to do lettering freehand again.

Do you do several passes or just one?

Too bad that you couldn't add a router to the vinyl cutter and save that step. ;-)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job Dan. I remember when I first got a router, I tried to "write" my name freehand into a plank. Since then I've never thought of trying to do lettering freehand again.

Do you do several passes or just one?

Too bad that you couldn't add a router to the vinyl cutter and save that step. ;-)
-it depends on the size and shape of the lettering, if i can get it in one pass thats what ill do.

-i think thats called a cnc router. wouldnt need to make a vinyl stencil then. if i had the space and funds id look into one but right now its not in the plans.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
As always, Dan, love it. Nice work! After the acrylic, do you add poly or anything? (I'm sure you answered that once, but I forget... sorry)

Man, I really gotta look into that program and the vinyl... if you saw how I had to do it... lol

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Could you paint the black first, wait til dry, then adhere the vinyl, rout, paint the letters and then remove the vinyl?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As always, Dan, love it. Nice work! After the acrylic, do you add poly or anything? (I'm sure you answered that once, but I forget... sorry)

Man, I really gotta look into that program and the vinyl... if you saw how I had to do it... lol
I did not.... The customer wanted flat finish and its going to be indoors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
made a new sign today... start to finish (no poly, its an inside sign). You guys always ask about different parts of my sign making process so i thought I'd show it to you from start to finish. This is a sign for a friend of mine that he is giving as a gift. he gave me the info on what the sign should read, and I offered him a few layouts and eventully narrowed it down to these two (first pic) and he chose the bottome one. next pic is a shot of the stencil i used as my template. I did all of the initial cuts with a 3/8" V groove and because if the short amount of time i chose to use a corebox bit of the same size to clean up the inside of the letters. after that I cut the sign out using my 14" PC bandsaw and sanded the edges with the stencil still on as my guide. after all the cutting and sanding I used white painter touch spray paint (3rd pic). once dried I removed the stencil (pic 4) and hand painted the background with Hyatts brand acrylic, and touched up any of the lettering with a Q Tip. Now its up to dry overnight and be handed off tomorrow (last pic is the finished product).

Hi Dan.

I may of asked this question somewhere else.

But what graphic program are you using.

Could you show use how to use it.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Bump.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Dan.

I may of asked this question somewhere else.

But what graphic program are you using.

Could you show use how to use it.
Peter, Im using Omega 4.0 here is the link for info; Gerber OMEGA Software The specific version Im using (there are 4) is the CP (Cut and Print). Sorry it took me so long to respond... I didn't notice the question until today. Feel free to send me a pm next time if its more than a few days

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am not clear on something, do you cut out the stencil (and how) before applying to the wood or cut through the vinyl with the router while doing the wood?:help:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am not clear on something, do you cut out the stencil (and how) before applying to the wood or cut through the vinyl with the router while doing the wood?:help:
I cut the stencil before applying it to the wood. It is cut using a vinyl plotter (I own two of them).

Bob if you look at the post with the series of five pics take a look at the second pic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts