Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've had a 3018pro for a little over a week now. I was able to sucessfully carve a few things. I haven't changed any settings and now I am having issues. I am attempting to cut out someone's family name, it seems to start off fine but then somewhere along the way things go wrong. I have the starting point in the front left corner but when everything starts to go wrong I end the job and it goes back to it's homing spot, but it is about 1/2'' off. Any help would be appreciated! I have lubed the railed with dry moly lube. As you can see in the picture the hole for the letter E is off and then the bottom of the name doesn't match the top half. I am creating these in Easel, exporting the g-code, then using UGS to run my CNC.

G-Code:
$0 = 10 (Step pulse time, microseconds)
$1 = 25 (Step idle delay, milliseconds)
$2 = 0 (Step pulse invert, mask)
$3 = 2 (Step direction invert, mask)
$4 = 0 (Invert step enable pin, boolean)
$5 = 0 (Invert limit pins, boolean)
$6 = 0 (Invert probe pin, boolean)
$10 = 1 (Status report options, mask)
$11 = 0.010 (Junction deviation, millimeters)
$12 = 0.002 (Arc tolerance, millimeters)
$13 = 0 (Report in inches, boolean)
$20 = 0 (Soft limits enable, boolean)
$21 = 0 (Hard limits enable, boolean)
$22 = 0 (Homing cycle enable, boolean)
$23 = 0 (Homing direction invert, mask)
$24 = 25.000 (Homing locate feed rate, mm/min)
$25 = 500.000 (Homing search seek rate, mm/min)
$26 = 250 (Homing switch debounce delay, milliseconds)
$27 = 1.000 (Homing switch pull-off distance, millimeters)
$30 = 10000 (Maximum spindle speed, RPM)
$31 = 0 (Minimum spindle speed, RPM)
$32 = 0 (Laser-mode enable, boolean)
$100 = 800.000 (X-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$101 = 800.000 (Y-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$102 = 800.000 (Z-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$110 = 1000.000 (X-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$111 = 1000.000 (Y-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$112 = 600.000 (Z-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$120 = 30.000 (X-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$121 = 30.000 (Y-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$122 = 30.000 (Z-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$130 = 200.000 (X-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$131 = 200.000 (Y-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$132 = 200.000 (Z-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
ok

Easel:
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Material property

Homing not in original location:
Drill Pneumatic tool Milling Wood Jig grinder

Messed up sign:
Brown Rectangle Gold Wood Font

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how are you holding the work down? material moving? how is the gantry moved? screw or belt? try moving by hand, see if something has loosened up
I am holding it down with masking tape and super glue. The material doesn't seem to move. The gantry is moved with a screw. Nothing seems to be loose with the gantry or the aluminum work area.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Looking at what is cut versus what the design shows the bottom of the "z" looks like it might be a bit lower, the bottom-left of the "H" looks like it is too far to the left so it might have exceeded the -x limit and missed some steps which would make the machine think it was farther left, so when trying to cut the "T" in "The" the new location for that would be farther to the right as it is in the cutting.

So, it looks like you exceeded the limits of the work area. Possibly a failure to set the origin point to zero or locating the material outside the limits. Also, remember to allow for the diameter of the bit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
my first guess is that the upcut bit is lifting the material, enough to (unintentionally) cut all the way through the material, like the capital H. these deeper cuts may be overloading the steppers causing it to lose steps, throwing the positions off. if you have a downcut bit you may want to try that.
is your spoilboard leveled off?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your settings in GRBL appear
$130 = 200.000 (X-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$131 = 200.000 (Y-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
However, your image is out to 280mm, which is more than the distance your machine can travel. If your machine has a larger cutting area then you need to define that at $130 and $131. It sounds like your stepper motors are losing steps thus it doesn't really know where Home is anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts