Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Am new to CNC , dont have a machine yet, looking at the Probotix Asteroid. The difficult bit is living in Australia, expensive to ship, but I am keen to get one.
If anyone has a better suggestion I am happy to listen.

Terry

·
Registered
20,663 Posts
Welcome. Not into CNC myself, but if you check the CNC section of the forums, there have been some extensive discussions in the past couple of months that are a must read, including which machines, technique, software. I can only imagine the shipping charges. Scroll to the top and click on Forums, then click on CNC forum.

·
Registered
Rick
17,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry . I'm in Canada and the shipping cost and exchange isn't great either .
Looking forward to seeing your new machine.
I'm wanting something a little bigger and sturdier and future expandable, so I'm considering CNCrouterparts pro version . (If I don't design and build one myself) .
There out of Seattle. It's a kit though , so you have to assemble it , which turns a lot of people off.
In my case I want a kit for the learning experience and for future troubleshooting.

Here's the link
http://www.cncrouterparts.com

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry. I'm sure a few of our CNC knowledgeable members will have some suggestions for you.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Rick
Have thought about the kit thing but as I have to source everything from overseas I'm thinking it would be a huge challenge.
That link you showed was intertesting , only wish they were in Australia , I would certainly give a kit a go then.Terry

·
Registered
Rick
17,551 Posts
Hi Rick
Have thought about the kit thing but as I have to source everything from overseas I'm thinking it would be a huge challenge.
That link you showed was intertesting , only wish they were in Australia , I would certainly give a kit a go then.Terry
Yes is a tough decision alright . Guys here have had pretty good success with Probotix router tables . There pretty much a turn key solution if I understand correctly.
I want a larger work area though , so I'm looking at other options.

I can't give you the best advise here , as all my knowledge thus far is from hundreds of hours of studying, and no hands on .

I learned volumes at cnczone.com , as you they have threads for specific manufacturers, and you get a really good idea who's having design issues and quality control etc.

I also joined Joescnc.com , a forum dedicated to building a few different models of Joes . It's a paid subscription to join with plans , $75 US,and I have no regrets and learned a lot .
I was going to build the Evolution with V-bearings, but Joe is working on a updated design using linear bearings .
Using the V- bearings and angle iron will keep your cost at a minumum though , as quality linear blocks and rails are fairly expensive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts